Demographics

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Demographics

Postby drsteep » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:09 am

For the past couple of years I have not seen any information about the demographics of the riders on CO which they used to publish in the daily Cycle Oregonian at some point during the ride . Perhaps the moderator or someone else in the know can post this info here ie: number of states / countries represented / number of males / females / oldest / youngest rider / average age plus any other additional interesting data
drsteep

Re: Demographics

Postby hansej » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:00 pm

I too would like to see the demographics, especially in light of the Oregonian article on CO wanting to change their demograhics. Would be interesting to know what type of new riders they are attracting.
hansej

Postby funtimes » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Geez, anyone notice how many Californians managed to get in this year?
I bet a lot of Oregonians, especially those who weren't quick enough on the registration, would resent knowing how many Golden Staters got in.

A September ride shuts out most college-aged kids and many parents.
It is also a huge barrier to anyone in their twenties who either get very little vacation time per year (which is often saved for Xmas) or they get no paid vacation at all, so a full week costs them an awful lot. For parents with Back-to-school kids, it is such a crazy time, I could never leave my kids during that crucial K-12 era! Of course, my husband could, so I guess that explains why so many of the riders are guys. Also, there appear to be a fair share of retirees on the ride. I'm just saying. I really felt for some of them, those who struggled with this year's challenging route.
From,
A San Franciscan
funtimes

Postby riding2live » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:57 pm

WHAT?? Is that some sort of mystical message about demographics?? I don't get it. Must be my age.
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Return to 2012 Week Ride - September 8-15