Monroe Oregon, cyclists, and speed traps.

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Monroe Oregon, cyclists, and speed traps.

Postby Bikerdude11 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 am

All cyclists attending the two day weekend ride near Corvallis- be aware of this. Attended the Alpine century in August last year and recieved
very unwelcome from Sheriff of Montgomery county and other motorists. Speed trap for out of town motorists in town of Monroe. In no way speeding with two bikes hanging off of Hybrid in a 25 MPH city zone - easy tourist target. They knew I had no choice but to pay due to being out of town and not being able to attend court. No warning- just a total AH law officer.
Additionally- other riders were accosted by agressive drivers throughout the ride. We've ridden MANY rides thoughout Oregon and have never experienced this. Seems to be a local "Stay off our roads thing". Ironically now a year later Cycle O goes down there???? Can I envision some incident with another group? YES. Cycle O organizers feel free to contact me or post.
Bikerdude11

Re: Monroe Oregon, cyclists, and speed traps.

Postby dunshay04 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:29 pm

I ride in this area numerous times each summer. Last year I also did the Alpine Century and did not experience any of this. I highly recommend riding in this area and find drivers to be nice about sharing the road. Can't wait to get back down there this summer.

However, Clackamas County is a whole different story. Can't tell you how badly we were treated by drivers last year on the Pioneer Century.

Last year we also got a bogus ticket by the local police department in Sutherlin on the week long ride (Day 0) and we too had to pay the ticket since we were out of towners. Like they say, part of CO is to leave money behind in the communities we visit. Sutherlin just got an extra bonus from us.

So, you see, it's not just Monroe.
dunshay04

Postby mytrot » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:40 am

Did not make the Alpine last year but have the two previous years. Traffic was light to non-existent on most of the route. The highway later in the day can be dicey as it is a little narrow but we had no issues.

Don't ride this far south often but in the Corvallis, Albany area regularly with no issues.

I do know I have had issues with bikers on this ride taking up half the road and not keeping right when they should. A good way to annoy drivers!
mytrot

Postby Jackson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:41 pm

CO makes a good effort to meet with all the officials in any town we visit (week or weekend) and the local law enforcement or sheriff is included. Partially due to the beer garden. They also coordinate route and safety issues.

As a driver in one or both of the events in the past, it has never been a problem. If the posted speed is followed, regardless of your hometown, you shouldn't have a problem.
Jackson

Return to 2012 Weekend Ride - July 13-15