So - what is the consensus?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

So - what is the consensus?

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 pm

I believe that I will be signing up for sure... will have computer at the ready come noon. And immediately after that will be going into the Cycle O Sunscreen business....

8)
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Re: So - what is the consensus?

Postby mytrot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 pm

great area that I have not seen. Flat so you can enjoy the scenery.

If I am fast enough (fingers that its!) I'm in!
mytrot

Postby teaspoon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:53 pm

This is perfect. I did the 2001 ride and growing up in a warm sunny climate this is the ideal riding weather for me. I have always wanted to bring 2 bikes but the ride has never been set up to allow that to happen. This is like a dream come true. This is my 10th anniversary with CO. I will ride my upright the first day then settle into the recumbent equipped with the juice bar for the next 6 days. Add in some porter service and I will be as happy as a pig in sh..!
teaspoon

Postby murphdog0_0 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:55 pm

Looks like an interesting route scenery-wise. But we (2) will not be signing up this year and will leave room for others. I hope to be riding my bike but in Wisconsin for the 140.6 mile (IMWI) event the same time you are hitting the road on Sept. 8th too. I signed up for that race while riding down the road out of Silver Lake last year. Believe it or not I will be thinking about you all from time to time on that day. :D
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.........PTL.
murphdog0_0

Postby John A Campbell » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 am

I'M GOING! If the computer gods can be mollified. I think it's a 7 out of 10 but that I might remember it as a 9.5 :wink: Here is why. Day 1 is a perfect CO day. Day 7 is a perfect last day. How can I go wrong? It does seem to be an inside out route though. Flat days in the middle and day 6 is day 1! I grew up in the high desert so the coast always seems exotic to me and the desert always seems "nice".

God only knows what the weather will be like. It might snow. It might be 100F. They both might happen on the same day!
John A Campbell

Postby funtimes » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Ah, this will be completely new territory for me. I thought this was like a "no man's land" so I guess we will rely 90% on Cycle Oregon for food and snacks and all services. That's OK, just different. I hope the weather is on the hot side. This will be an 11 hour drive for me, too. May have to carry my own gasoline and a spare axle. (Something my grandparents had to do on their cross country trips in the 1920's.) Hope I get in!
funtimes

Postby Firebucks » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:20 pm

And you will be visiting Grant County which declared itself a UN free zone a number of years ago.
Firebucks

Postby karlkras » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Well, I'm thinking that the fact there are still registrations available is an indication of the excitement level of this years version of CO. Either that or the registration service was even worse then I had thought.

I'm signed up (finally) and looking forward to 6 days of time trial like stages. Not sure it was an oversight that the route map doesn't actually give elevation totals, only mileage. After the 1st day there isn't much to speak of, just mainly flat high desert roads. I was on the 2001 ride (remember the morning of 9/11 breaking down camp when news of the attack was was announced over the the PA? 'What the heck do we do now?') which was similarly placed so I imagine it will be very scenic. I hope forest fires don't hijack the shower trucks.

Easy to say now, but I intend on looking for opportunities to head for the hills if there are any to be had. Maybe the headwinds will provide the "climbing experience" and I'll have to eat my words here.

Sigh, and the COs with the One 100 Mile Day are a thing of the WAY past.

But other than that, I'm sure it will be great trip!
karlkras

Postby R-3 fan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:51 pm

No real "wow" factor on this years ride. Just a chance to ride for a week in a part of Oregon I haven't explored much.
People seem to dread the climbs but whenever CO offers a "flatter" route interest is down. Oregon is such a great place to ride that I appreciate all it has to offer,but, a week in Grant and Harney counties every few years is enough for me.
So while I'm happy I got in-I'm not surprised.
R-3 fan

Postby Mattio » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:15 pm

A week long bicycle ride IS the wow factor. Up hill, down hill, or flat, it's all good on a bike...then add 2000 other smiling faces on 2 wheels, and our band of pedaling gypsies is called Cycle Oregon. The pre registration video got me pretty stoked, the scenery should be stunning. See you all in September!
Mattio

Postby EZPZ » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:59 pm

I remember postings from when this route was used in 2001. Someone described it as "lumpy pancake batter."
EZPZ

Postby Jackson » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:57 pm

My memory of this ride is skewed due to other events that happened that same week. Hope to actually get to look around and take in all that Oregon has to offer.
Jackson

Postby HalfBent » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Anytime you can get out into rural Oregon on a bicycle on roads with low vehicle traffic is a great experience, even better on Cycle Oregon.

2001 is the only year I rode my recumbent ('bent) on the Cycle Oregon week ride. I prefer an upright frame but sometimes my neck doesn't comply... In 2001 I was a recent convert to 'bents due to an injury and as CO's go, the 2001 route for me was a good 'bent experience being relatively flatter than previous Cycle Oregon routes. I remember the 20 year CO poster offered in 2007 confirmed the 2001 route as the flattest on record. I expect that 2013 will be similar to 2001. So if you ever considered riding a 'bent on CO, I think this year is one to ponder. There is enough time to train for 'bent if you traditionally ride an upright.

Tailwinds to all!
HalfBent

Postby ridewime » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:49 am

Only thing that worries is that wide open flatlands quite often have winds. If we are unlucky and the wind is in our faces southbound and northbound 2 days later it will be a long couple days. Of course there is the possibility that the opposite may be true. Yeah Right :mrgreen:
ridewime

Postby grandpabent » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:44 am

This years ride does seem bent friendly.Sometimes there are sneaky little hills that don't show on the maps.Your average bent does not catch the wind like a regular bike.Halfbent are you going to change your moniker to lees than haifbent?? HE He snicker snicker
grandpabent

Return to 2013 Week Ride - September 7-14