Lock your bikes....

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Lock your bikes....

Postby lars » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:39 am

Last year several bikes were stolen during the last night.

I intend to put a cable and padlock in my bag and lock my bike to a camp chair every night. Maybe run the cable through a couple of bikes. Anything to deter an easy theft.

I think this is especially important if you tend to camp on the edge of the camp sites.
lars

Re: Lock your bikes....

Postby rambobikeman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:20 am

I think last year's thefts in Klamath Falls were more the exception than the norm. It never hurts to be careful, but the communities we'll be staying in this year are so small it shouldn't be a problem. In the 9 Cycle-O's I've been on, I can think of three sites where bikes were stolen: Oak Ridge in 2007 (a volunteer's mountain bike was stolen), Bandon in 2011 (a riders bike was stolen (and recovered the next day)), and last year in K-Falls, which blew the theft record out of the water.
rambobikeman

Re: Lock your bikes....

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:23 am

A tip some self-contained tourists would give you is to loop the cable around one of your tent pole if these is no better option. If someone sneaks up and snatches the bike, you are likely to feel it.

That said, I agree with Rambo. Riding through a part of Klamath Falls I quipped to my GF "I never thought I would ride into a town that made Butte, Montana look nice." :mrgreen:
StarlightPurpleIF

Return to 2013 Week Ride - September 7-14