Soon

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Soon

Postby Don Bolton » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:59 am

Soon the adventure begins.

All the preparation, anticipation, and trepidation is soon to be replaced by a sense of awe at the majesty of the Oregon landscape and its people. Along with a personal sense of accomplishment.

Along the way you'll make new friends, see incredible sights, and ride with a strength you may not yet know you have.

It will be difficult at times but the things you'll see and do will leave lasting impressions.

There will be sunrises, sunsets, massive overviews of land unfettered by human manipulation, night skies thick with stars...

Old settlements long abandoned that leave one to wonder their stories. People living and thriving in places far removed from the conveniences and distractions of the city.

You'll look over the side on a climb beyond a switchback and see the roadway full of riders below and know what you have done to get there.

Perhaps nature will toss in an evening lightning exhibition, or launch a tent into the sky.

Soon the adventure begins
Don Bolton

The wait is over!

Postby Allyn Rice » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:43 pm

:D I'm in!!! Just got off the phone with Ingrid and I am now an official 2007 C.O. rider. I got eight days left for serious training. It's only 106 degrees out right now, I could do an grade 8 2000 ft climb for an hour or two after work each day.

:shock: Now where is all my stuff? How do I get to Sisters from L. A.? Do I have enough butt cream? Oh crap! I am signed up for jury duty that week. Guess I'll be a fugative from justice.

Allyn (organizationally challenged) Rice
Allyn Rice

Re: Soon

Postby joec » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:38 am

Don Bolton wrote:It will be difficult at times but the things you'll see ... will leave lasting impressions...

...some weights/weaves of black lycra are see through in bright sunlight. I've seen the moon over Cycle Oregon several times ... :lol: Can't wait to ride...
joec

Postby slv0700 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:04 am

Yes, guys, please be sure you are not wearing worn out shorts!
Last year I got mooned and it wasn't a pretty sight !!
slv0700

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:31 am

That goes for gals, too!

I have to confess that I was guilty of wearing overly-worn shorts on the first day of CO XV. A woman tactfully informed me of my transgression by saying "That must be a really old pair of shorts you're wearing." It took me a minute to catch her drift. :oops:

In my defense, I didn't realize that the shorts were that worn. And I threw the them in the trash at the end of the day's ride, figuring it was better to wait rather than to take care of the problem right there and then. :wink:
StarlightPurpleIF

Re: Soon

Postby blueskies » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:12 pm

Don Bolton wrote:Soon the adventure begins.

Last week, I read this post just before I went out for a little ride. And this phrase, "soon the adventure begins" was humming in my head.

I was coasting along on the Fanno Creek bike path, when 3 young boys, maybe 10'ish?, called out to me "Hey lady, there's a man in the bushes." I stopped & looked at the bushes & the boys & said "Where?"

"In that tree over there... the big one." They pointed at a big tree in the distance. I didn't see anything. They explained that he was in green camouflage & spying on them, so I probably couldn't see him, unless by chance I had binoculars.

I said that I had a camera & a phone, but no binoculars. Did my camera zoom, they wanted to know. Yes. At their request, I took a picture of the tree & we zoomed in, clustered around the camera & studied the screen. No sign of the man. Very good camouflage, indeed.

They went on to explain to me that they were the Thunderbird Guard & that they were doing surveillance of the park, which was safe for them because they were together as a group. They had a little debate about whether or not it was safe for me to ride alone. After all, I was a grown-up. Told me it was probably ok to proceed, but to keep my phone out of sight. (So spies wouldn't be able to steal it in order to download my hard drive, of course...)

I smiled all the way home. For me, I realized, the adventure began in February. Soon, the final chapter.
blueskies

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:43 pm

Gaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Is it Friday yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:D
Force 5 Robert

Postby ColoRamb » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:54 pm

Gaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!

Nope.
be the arrow...
ColoRamb

Return to 2007 Week Ride - September 8-15