Bike Locks?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Bike Locks?

Postby JamesP » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:37 pm

Does anyone lock their bike on this ride? Wondering if I need to haul a heavy lock with me along the way...will it just end up sitting in my duffle? Is there any history of bikes gone missing...? :?:
JamesP

Postby murphdog0_0 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:32 pm

I don't think you will have a problem. My concern in the past was when my bike was leaning against a fence next to a street in town. You could have reached over the fence, lift it over, and then ride off. I doubt it would be a problem with our fellow C.O'ers.

Murphdog0_0 'also a JamesP'
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.........PTL.
murphdog0_0

Postby David R » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:12 pm

Most the time we are out in the middle of nowhere. This means there isn't anyone there to steal a bike. In town there is more of a risk but there are some 2000 bicycles to choose from giving any one bike low odds of being stolen. The trick is don't make it easy. Park the bike were it is in veiw of other Cycle Oregon riders or at least park it next to a Lance Armstrong signature Trek. I've only heard of two bikes being stolen and that was many years ago in a town larger than we will be visiting on this trip.
David R

Bike locks

Postby redhededgreg » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:19 pm

tongue in cheek advice posted last year or the year before on this issue:
'if you're worried about your bike being stolen, just park it next to a nicer one-and there will be plenty.'
Seriously, almost any CO veteran will tell you: "leave your lock (and your worries) at home."
redhededgreg

Postby leisure1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:04 pm

Once upon a time in Staton several bikes were stolen at night. They were all recovered from the bushes within a few weeks – (kind of hard to explain to your mother that you "found" a $3,000 bike in the ditch...) Next day we rode with a guy on the way to Estacada on a borrowed bike – and he was in serious pain – mostly from the saddle.
I would be wary of locations with kids – Sisters, LaPine, Oakridge – maybe tweakers (if you have a steel frame). You don’t need much – a simple 1/8” cable is enough to discourage… We have one really long cable that we thread through a whole pile of bikes and everyone sleeps better – Then of course there is the wet frozen bike seat you will face in the morning. Might I suggest a cheap shower cap to cover it at night?
leisure1

Postby joec » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:15 pm

Don't forget the bike corrals if there are any in the towns we stop in...well worth the few $$$...

One year a bud had his ride nic'd at one of the lunch stops...he left it at the "top" of the rest area and walked down for lunch...gone in sixty seconds, it was easy pickin's for someone with a truck...

If you want to give the riff-raff a hard time pull your front wheel and put it in your tent...
joec

Postby Alex from Eugene » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:54 pm

leisure1 wrote: – Then of course there is the wet frozen bike seat you will face in the morning. Might I suggest a cheap shower cap to cover it at night?

Those hotel shower caps are great - keep one with you on days 5 and 6 so when it rains you can stretch it over your helmet and keep your head dry :)
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Return to 2007 Week Ride - September 8-15