Bike Patrol?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Bike Patrol?

Postby joec » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:03 am

Just reviewing the handbook for next week and I noticed a paragraph describing the "Bike Patrol"...it's been some time since my last CO, this wasn't a feature on past rides...who are they? What is their purview? Will they be identifiable? Just wanna know in case I get pulled over...
joec

Postby Slingshot » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:28 am

Where can I find a bike patrol sensor for my handlebars? Also, do you think that showing a little shaved leg will get you off (I mean out of an infraction)?
Slingshot

Postby joec » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:00 am

Slingshot wrote:Where can I find a bike patrol sensor for my handlebars? Also, do you think that showing a little shaved leg will get you off (I mean out of an infraction)?

Don't know about the shaved leg technique, but I could always break down and cry...not really worried about it, just curious. With the style of riding I do, I'm the least of their worries, just want to be informed about their charter and the strength of their kung-fu... 8)
joec

Postby Allyn Rice » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:01 am

The bike patrol is a necessary deployment of the Cattle Guard. The cattle guard is a little known part of the military. The Cattle Guard was an important part of the United States force for protection of the bovine population throughout the 17th and 18th century. This force kept order for cattle traveling with the wagon trains crossing the plains and made the Oregon Trail safe for the ordinary cow. The technological advantages and the move away from the agrarian society in the U. S. in the 20th century put the Cattle Guard out to pasture. They could not be disbanded because it is part of the second amendment of the constitution.

If you look at the maps from last year’s C. O. ride you can see many Cattle Guard posts that we had to ride through. We were required to slow down and go over bars set into the road at the post. The guard would determine whether the cyclist was allowed to continue. Hence the name of the bars set in the road, Cattle Guard”. I never heard of anyone stopped last year for improper behavior around the cows, bulls, or calves in the areas we rode through.

The bike patrol is the blitzkrieg (the employment of mobile forces attacking with speed and surprise) of the cattle guard. There is a lot smaller bovine population that needs protection this year in the areas we are riding through. So instead of a large number of cattle guards, we have the bike patrol. It will be their job to ensure the safety of the cattle in the area, as well as the cyclist’s safety. After all, the bovine and human populations cannot truly get along together. We do eat them. The bike patrol will make sure that all cows will be happy and content while we pass on the road.

Now if you want more information about the cattle guard, its place in history, and how it helped make America great, you should look for Don Bolton. His bike has been painted to honor and dignify this little known bovine military force. Look for a Trek painted with black and white spots like a heifer cow, and with a pink udder at the crank.
The world is not flat.
Allyn Rice

Postby joec » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:14 am

ah...good so they'll be on the lookout for errant cow (not me...) Thanks for the informative post(although I'm detecting a slight pull on my crankside leg)...did you get your last miles in? The heat in SoCal has been breath taking...makes the 80+ temps for next week look like a breeze...off to the beach, gotta work on my tan!
joec

Postby Allyn Rice » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:33 am

8) Did 80 miles yesterday with my wife. We rode from our home in Simi Valley to the coast and north to Santa Barbara. Then took the Amtrak back to Simi and the 100+ heat.
Allyn Rice

Postby Jackson » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:34 am

The Bike Patrol is a group of State Patrol officers who have joined the ride to help encourage good riding practices. They are evenly spaced amoung the riders and can be identified by a safety vest marked "Bike Patrol". They have radio communication (limited range) with sag vehicles and other course vehicles. They are there to assist with traffic situations along the way. If you see them, thank them for their help.

John
Jackson

Return to 2007 Week Ride - September 8-15