Hill/mountain tips

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Hill/mountain tips

Postby mstevens » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:24 am

Some climbing tips:
Full circle pedalling: We all know how to push down on the pedal. But you can significantly improve your comfort when climbing by simply remembering to lift your coming-up foot so that it is at least neutral, and better yet is slightly pulling up. Better yet, have each foot always helping: press down, then back, then up, then forward, then down as each foot is making the circle. It takes practice. Don't try to pull up hard, because you'll get sore quickly using muscles you didn't know were there.

Sit upright when going uphill. You will be able to breath easier, and your body can give power more efficiently to your legs.

If you have people close behind and you want to stand, yell out "Standing" and give them a few seconds to respond. You'll slow down when you stand up, and giving this warning can avoid an accident.

Downhill:
HOLD YOUR LINE! This means if you ride 2 feet from the right side of the road normally, keep that line when going through corners. With 2000 riders, there is likely someone coming fast up behind you, and they need room to pass. You are not racing, so you don't need (nor have a right to) the whole lane.

DON"T MOVE LEFT UNTIL AFTER YOU CHECK BEHIND YOU! Again, someone may be coming up fast, and you don't want to be involved in a crash because you changed your lane position without telling others. Think of a single car lane as 2 lanes for bikes, left and right. Stay right if not passing, signal and check and move left for passing.

When going downhill and you want to slow a bit, simply sit up. To slow a bit more, stretch your elbows out and hang one knee out to the side.

If you choose to stand while coasting downhill, remember to keep that seat secure between your legs. Doing do will significantly improve your steering stability.

To go fast, keep your eyes up, your head down, elbows and knees in.

YAHOO!!! :lol:
mstevens

Re: Hill/mountain tips

Postby joec » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:20 am

mstevens wrote:[u]...
Sit upright when going uphill. You will be able to breath easier, and your body can give power more efficiently to your legs...

YAHOO!!! :lol:

I would modify this depending on your frame angles and pitch of the incline. In some cases, an upright position will cause your weight to center more on the rear wheel causing the front to lift slightly when pedaling. I try to center my weight over the top tube and sit far back on the seat to leverage my a** (....sorry gluteal) muscles. Also try to relax, breath deeply, get a good spin and think happy thoughts...being tense seems to drain my energy...we're on vacation right?

...and remember for every up, there is a down! Oh and YAHOOOO! :D :lol: 8)
joec

Postby Allyn Rice » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:50 am

:x Climbing is a state of mind. It is important to understand where you are in relation to the movement of the universe. You must put your mind in the proper orbit and become one with the gravitational pull. Begin with the following chant when you are at a 6% or better grade....

If I am not in pain, how do I know I am alive? :lol:
Allyn Rice

Chant

Postby John A Campbell » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:59 pm

Begin with the following chant when you are at a 6% or better grade....

I usually use Oooohhhmmmyyygod, Oooohhhmmmyyygod ...
John A Campbell

Re: Chant

Postby Slingshot » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:04 pm

I usually use Oooohhhmmmyyygod, Oooohhhmmmyyygod ...[/quote]

If I hear this in a tent next to me I am making you move to a new neighborhood :wink:
Slingshot

Return to 2007 Week Ride - September 8-15