We are home & let the rumors fly

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Postby Shifty » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:01 pm

I am one of the 900 "new to CO" riders, I signed up BECAUSE of the beautiful and challenging route this year. I'll be back again, but only if I find the route interesting, beautiful and/or challenging to ride.

Everyone was nice, the event was well done for the most part, and riders were friendly. That's a good base, but the quality and rigor of the ride is what will bring me back, not just to say that I'm a part of this event.

I'm far from an "elite" rider, but I trained right and rode a comfortable pace, had no flat tires or mechanical problems, and enjoyed every inch of the ride, up or down. Give me another ride like this one and I'll be back, for sure!
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

This year's ride was exactly what I had hoped for

Postby wayneh » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:41 pm

I started with CO X in 1997. At that time it was the hardest thing physically I had ever attempted. The next year, while paused at the turn- out in the Pumice Desert on the way up to the rim of Crater Lake, I chatted with guys in their 60's, more fit than I thought I could ever possibly be. Right then I set myself a goal of doing ten CO's in a row.

This year I started my second set of 10. The ride couldn't have been better. This is my Fall vacation each year. I come back with a clear mind, a body tested, and a refreshed spirit. If I can ride 481 miles in 7 days, including the Crater Lake Loop again better than I did in 1998, do extended grades of over 8%, and show my 19 year old son who rode for the first time this year that Dad still has some gas in his tank, tell me a better way to spend this week in September doing domething else. If I wanted easy, I'd book a cruise or spend a week in Mexico bored out of my gourd.

No activity I've ever done has given me such a sense of satisfaction and personal accomplishment, accompanied by plenty of four-letter words along the way. No event can be 100% perfect for over 2,000 people. The ride will change as it needs to, but lets hope it never loses its vision for the riders or the great communities we get to visit along the way. I'm still not as fit as those guys in their 60's that inspired me to come back year after year, but I'm more determined than ever now to get there.

Keep it challenging, keep it meaningful, keep it special.

WayneH
Tigard, Oregon
wayneh

Keep it a challenge

Postby debstout » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:40 am

I am certainly not an elite cyclist by any means... When I did my first CO seven years ago I read that it was recommended to do at least 1000 miles of training prior to the ride. Also, "if you can't do lots or miles do as much hill riding as possible". Have followed these recommendations every year and done fine. Most of my raining rides are 15-20 miles early in the morning before work with some longer rides some weekends. Did some cross training - gym work outs and yoga. Pretty basic training schedule. Part of what I love about CO is that it is a challenge and that I have to train for it. The mileage and elevation are published seven months before the ride. I don't really understand signing up for a ride that is 450+ miles and 28,000 feet of climbing and then complaining that it was too hard....It was not a secret! Also was amazed by the increase in private sags. More traffic on our routes is NOT a good thing. Really hope that the CO organizers at least strongly discourage this if they can't outright disallow it. Adding any more cars than is absolutely necessary to roads with 2000+ cyclists is just anything but smart. Also, I wonder if the fact that Co hasn't been selling out the past few years is more about an increase in other rides offering competition than a problem with the basic concept (lot of miles, lots of hills, beautful scenery).
Debbie
debstout

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:52 pm

"The fact that less than 50% of the riders did the Crater Lake loop and less than 10% did the 12 mile option says that the ride was too hard for 50-90% of the riders."

What?!?!
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby debstout » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:32 am

"The fact that less than 50% of the riders did the Crater Lake loop and less than 10% did the 12 mile option says that the ride was too hard for 50-90% of the riders."

????? These are OPTIONS! That is the point - they will be chosen by only a portion of the riders. Plus which, many riders (including me) were delayed so long at the top of the hill on the way to Dorena lake that it was not possible to do the additional miles.
Debbie
debstout

Postby ColoRamb » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:18 am

Everyone who rode CO this year is an "elite" rider. They challenged themselves physically and mentally with a difficult event and for varying reasons. People rode for the scenery, for health, for lost family members, for camaraderie, etc. Not just for fast times, and first in camp. People who create a narrow definition for elite riders, and then place themselves in it are not elite but elitist.

I applaud everyone for their individual efforts in CO07! The diversity of the riders and their stories is what made the ride so memorable!
be the arrow...
ColoRamb

Postby davek » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:03 am

On the day five climb, as I rode up I saw one lady almost at the top of this tough climb walking her bike. She wasn't whining or cursing, just getting up the hill and about the time I was leaving she got in. For me she's the spirit of Cycle Oregon, not the line of people at the previous ODS stop starting a SAG line at the bottom of the hill, complaining to one of the volunteers (why do people do that...) about the SAGs not being being there yet or able to take them to the top.

Hats off to you Miss, whoever you are, you're awesome and I know I'll see you there next year!
davek

Diversity is an asset to the ride

Postby wayneh » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:00 am

Echoing the positive sentiments of the past few posts on these topics:

OPTIONS are there for a reason. In the past, on some option days I chose to hang in camp, socialize with my riding pal, cruise into town, and let my body rest because it was telling me it needed to. Day 2 was the longest of the ride this year and took a lot out of many riders. When faced with the propect of so much climbing on Day 3, if they decided to just hang in camp, as my riding pal did, or just cruise up to the rim and back down, then the option was successful.

I couldn't agree more with the rider from Colorado - just doing the ride makes each participant ELITE in their own right. The 2,000 or so riders that come together for this event each September bring their own unique stories and reasons for riding. Each one should be applauded.

On the tough climb on Day 5, both my son and my riding pal chose to SAG from the second rest stop up to the summit, while I was able to do the full ride. I remember my first CO, I had to get off and walk on three separate occaisions due to the steep climbs. We're on a vacation, not doing a competition against anyone else.

I consider myself fortunate to have completed the ride and been in the same company with everyone else who was there. I'm already thinking about next year.

WayneH
wayneh

Postby Jackson » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:51 pm

There was an overwhelming amount of riders that chose to ride the option on Crater Lake. The weather was perfect but we figured most would choose the ride up to lunch and a view from the rim and then return to relax by Diamond Lake. Guesses ranged from 200-500 riders opting for the loop. Numbers at last count were in the high 1100's.

As a sag driver, we had a little glimpse of what it was like to do another job on Day 3, we beacme Rest Stops at 4 locations around the rim. For those who took the option, you are familiar with the feeding frenzie. Thanks for not condeming us when we ran short. Back up supplies arrived before any stop was totally depleated.

We had a great time and would gladly do it again.

John
Jackson

Postby David R » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:08 pm

Maybe those other rides competing with CO offer shorter days with less climbing that allows more riders to interact with the local comunity.
David R

Postby MarbleMtn » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:32 am

Friends rode around Crater Lake yesterday, 9/23/07, and froze. We had the weather so right on CO this year. Clyde
MarbleMtn

Postby slv0700 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Clyde, how is Bridget doing? And what caused her accident?
slv0700

Postby MarbleMtn » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:03 pm

Thanks for asking. She is right now getting her broken front three teeth capped, the lacertions to her lips are healing well and the assorted bruises and road burns are healing. We rode 20 miles on the Willammette River trail in Eugene yesterday. She is a super trooper and very tough, but going over your handle bars and bitting the pavement is never a good plan.

She had just slowed down from 37 MPH coming down McKenzie Pass and was just cruising the last couple of miles into Sisters when she hit a rock and swerved onto the shoulder? We rode the ambulance to Sisters then got out and walked across the finish line.

She still thinks CO XX was one of our best vacations ever. At least the first 485 miles of it. I agree.

Thank you Suzi and Cynthia for the cards and flowers, Thank you Ted, Randy, Sandy, Neil & Steve for the help after the crash.

Clyde
MarbleMtn

Bridget

Postby suziqt » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:35 pm

We love you Bridge!!!! :D
SuziQT
suziqt

Postby lochmond » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:35 pm

Cruising into camp of a fully supported tour at a casual 18mph
(riding time or total time?) doesn't make anyone an "elite athelete".
That is the deffinition of a "tourist".
There is no "top 50". There is no ranking on a tour.
Some of the slowest start early and get in before the faster riders.
Some fast riders take more time off the bike en route and get in late.

Cycle Oregon can be hard but if you are looking for a an elite level expierence this ain't it.
lochmond

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Week Ride - September 8-15