We are home & let the rumors fly

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Postby David R » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:13 am

I thought day 2 was a great ride. While riding hwy 97 was the low point of the whole trip it was better than riding I-84 or I-5 and we have done that a few times. Normaly people complain about day 2 because they ride too hard on day one and their body is not use to riding multi days in a row. I actualy thought day one was less interesting being so short, downhill with a tail wind and mostly it felt like riding through portland suburbs.
David R

Postby John A Campbell » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:46 pm

How would you like to do this route the other direction? That thought was dropped after the ride but I saw no questions asking what riders might think

No thanks. I loved days 3,4,5,6,7 I'd rather finish on a high note.

John
John A Campbell

Postby Tender Chunks » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:14 pm

In some ways, day 2 was almost my favorite. When we turned onto the long and not winding road (leading to Diamond Lake) I sort of thought - COOL! I know just what I need to do! I knew there was a short downhill to the camp at the end. It was a buttkicker day, nonetheless. I had to take a few breaks and go cool out in the woods, as the sun was in my face. Still, the long climb was worth the descent, and the camp by the lake was - pardon me for the overused word - frikkin' awesome! I would have liked a map to speed up finding my tent, but that was a beauty spot!!

But then, I liked last year's first day: a long, grueling slog. Hot, unrelenting - you know you are distancing yourself from the couch potatoes.
Tender Chunks

Postby Shifty » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:31 pm

Jackson wrote:

How would you like to do this route the other direction? That thought was dropped after the ride but I saw no questions asking what riders might think.

John
I would do this ride in the other direction. The worst part would be going up Sharps Creek from Dorena, other than that it would be fun/fine.
The worst part of day 2 for me was the freezing start from LaPine. Highway 97 isn't my favorite, but it wasn't THAT bad, and we weren't on it for that many miles. Having the beautiful lakeside campground to finish up at made all the suffering a distant memory.

I will go back to Crater Lake on my own next year to ride. Being herded and hollered at like cattle REALLY diminished the experience for me. There are MANY nice days like that at Crater Lake, I'll do it on my own terms next time.
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

A little different

Postby John A Campbell » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:51 am

OK. I have always known that I was "different", I didn't mind the hwy. I hate long flat days (I'd call day 2 flat ;-) and I really like going uphill What I remember as bad about day 2 was waiting in the heat for water at the fire station. Long lines, hot, I was already sunburned. The ride over the hill to the camp at Diamond Lake *was* one of the highlights of the trip.

One other thing. Keep the short first day. I have to travel and ship my bike. After a few days of riding my other bike and a day of traveling and a day of setup at the day0 camp I need a day to stretch out my legs.

John
John A Campbell

Postby slv0700 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:20 am

when are they going to put out the results of the survey????????
No answer from the office.
slv0700

Postby dougnlis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:09 pm

[quote="Jackson"]

>How would you like to do this route the other direction? That thought was dropped after the ride but I saw no questions asking what riders might think.<

Think about this. My maps of Day 5, Dorena to Oakridge, show that we had 9.5% downgrades, 8.8% climbs. Reversing that makes my knees ache just in contemplation. True, the really awful pavement was on the downhill side and it would be 35 miles of clear sailing down to Cottage Grove, if you didn't overshoot and wind up at the coast, but a ski lift for the first ten miles would be welcome. Day 4, Diamond Lake to Dorena, had an even steeper downhill, 10% for a few miles. You want me to climb that? And then there was that forty mile descent at the start. Reverse that? Shoot me first.

But then I take another sip and think, Dorena to Glide rather than back to Diamond Lake would break things up . . . Hit the long uphill on fresher legs. A l-o-n-g day Sisters to Oakridge with a stiff climb at the start, a long descent, and then a manageable climb and exhilerating descent through the Aufderheide to Oakridge. What's not to like about a scenic 110 miles? Give medallions at the end to those who rode it all. Give BIG medallions to sag drivers.

Another sip and I've talked myself into it. But we start and end in Cottage Grove/Dorena. Day one is pretty tough, and buses await in Glide to haul away those who didn't train enough or chose the wrong drugs. Then hump it up to Diamond Lake, the map for which didn't show nasty grades, just a long slog uphill. The next few days are piss on a plate - we did those the other way except now we're losing elevation. Scream down the hill from LaPine to Sisters, hop over two hills to Oakridge, pop over the top (if the ski lift isn't in by then) and there you are.

I say let's do it for CO 25!!! My wife says based on the silly songs I keep practicing in the showers in hopes of winning next year's grand prize that I am already off the rails. But I am sure it's possible to get even lower gears than what got me through this year by the skin of my teeth.

Shoot me now.
Steel is Real
dougnlis

Postby Jackson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:42 pm

slv0700 wrote:when are they going to put out the results of the survey????????
No answer from the office.

Check out the new newsletter. It has a few results from this years survey. More surveys are coming in every day. Final results to come.
Jackson

Postby David R » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:50 am

Looks like every one fell off their bike for the winter. The forecast is looking good for Thanksgiving, lets go get some miles.
David R

Postby David R » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:52 am

Looks like every one fell off their bike for the winter. The forecast is looking good for Thanksgiving, lets go get some miles.
David R

Postby slv0700 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:34 pm

I will be out there in McMinnville !!!!!!!!!!!!
slv0700

Postby slv0700 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:38 am

Well, guess I will reply to myself; lonely out here ! Sure was good
riding for four days over the long weekend; saw quite a few bikers out
in my wine country area ! Maybe they were wine tasting. Hoping for
more, not too much rain, weekends ahead. Enjoy if anyone is out there.
slv0700

Postby David R » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:00 am

I spent Thanksgiving at the beach. Got in a nice ride from Oceanside to Pacific City. Bueatiful sunny day, was a little suprised to find ice on the road while climbing cape look out. Sunday was very nice here in Seattle and got in some local pedaling as well. Looks like the rain is back so I'll put the fenders back on the bike.
David R

Postby slv0700 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:19 am

Good to hear from you David; glad you got some riding in. I got this
great catalog in the mail, not a cycling one, and I am going to buy one
of those neat poly-pro fleece jackets that is wind and wet resistent;
supposed to be cozy warm ! Will find out. Gotta go to Medford this weekend, so will try to go out the next wkend. Too much rain down here
last couple days ! There's rain, and then there's RAIN !
slv0700

Postby MarbleMtn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:46 pm

Seattle was gorgeous Sunday 11/25. We ran the Seattle Marathon so sunny but cold was perfect.

Does any one know any good road cycling routes on Oahu? And any bike stores that rent decent road bikes? We are running the Honolulu Marathon 12/9 but will be there a couple days before and would love to cycle.

Clyde & Bridget in Eugene.
MarbleMtn

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Week Ride - September 8-15