Training?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Training?

Postby MarkG » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:37 pm

A slow afternoon.... so who's been riding and who's been hiding?

My total mileage for the year is right at 1200 (not including a couple of spinning classes every week). Longest rides were last weekend for an MS ride (92 on Sat and 81 on Sun). After that I wonder how I'll survive on the saddle for 7 long days though.

Any other CO riders planning on doing the 3 State 3 Mountain ride in Chattanooga next weekend?

Mark
MarkG

Postby Force 5 Robert » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:52 pm

Bwwahah ha ha ha ha!!

I am too ashamed to even post my total mileage here. Yeesh.

Does riding inside on a trainer at midnight count?

:( :oops:
Force 5 Robert

Postby Mysterio » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:40 pm

MarkG- you make me sick.
Mysterio

Postby Chuck B. » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:52 pm

I did 4.5 miles on my mountain bike a couple of weeks ago. Right now it's rodeo season (9 high school rodeos in the next 5 weeks to go to with my son), calving season, and irrigating season in eastern Oregon, so there's essentially no time for biking. I'll have to hit it hard when things do finally slow a bit.
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby MarkG » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:16 pm

Mysterio - nicest thing anyone said to me all day!

I guess most parts of the country have that season they call winter. :)

Interesting how different people's lives are too - calving and rodeos sound pretty foreign to me (not that there's anything wrong with that).
MarkG

Postby Rickey L Smith » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:59 pm

Its probably the worst riding year I can think of. If you have 1200 miles for the year you are doing great. Myself I hit 3000 on Wednesday. A group of us rode a Oregon Randonneur ride two weeks ago 300k 64 riders. So some of us have been riding. One thing I have noticed over the years riders sign up for CO and a month before the ride starts start training. The best way to enjoy CO is to have the miles under you. No excuse this Saturday weather looks good.
Rickey L Smith

3 State 3 Mountain Challenge - Chattanooga

Postby GoIrish » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:10 am

Definitely going to Chattanooga for next Saturday's 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge. Anyone who says that we don't have any hills in the East would appreciate this annual event. Especially fond of the Burkhalter Gap climb at mile 81! Weather looks to be good, and this will officially kick off my training tests in preparation for CO XX. See you there.
GoIrish

Postby David R » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:26 am

Lets see, 15 weeks so far this year, that would put me at about 300 miles for the year. Longest ride would have been 80 miles back in Feb. On the plus side most of the miles have been interval training.
David R

Postby Mysterio » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:09 am

David R: interesting comment about intervals. We have both ridden about 300 miles so far this year. I too am integrating hill intervals into my rides- for the first time. It is very difficult and will be interesting to see how it impacts upon my riding later in the year. Frankly, I have been a little freaked out about my "lack of miles in the saddle" so far. Hopefully, good weather and a lot of riding are finally here. :x Good training to all.
Mysterio

Postby MarbleMtn » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:38 am

I sure hope cross training works.

Have been running hard last 5 months for Eugene Marathon this weekend and Newport Marathon June 2nd. then will get back on my bike. Except of course August is for backpacking. Will ride hard June, July and second half of August.

Clyde
MarbleMtn

Postby matt.picio » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:08 pm

I'm at 1,017 miles for the year, mostly bike commuting (I live 12.5 miles from where I work). My longest ride this year was 55 miles about a month ago.

Last year at this time, I was at 1,060 miles, so I'm trying to get out and ride more. Hopefully this Sunday I'll ride 65-80 miles if I get the chance. My big problem is weight - I weigh 250 lbs.

Anyone have any recommendations for exercises to strengthen core muscles?

Rickey - 3,000 miles is fantastic! How many miles do you typically ride in a year?
matt.picio

Postby Tender Chunks » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:01 pm

Matt -
I'm not an authority, but I believe anything you can do to increase your heart-lung capacity, particularly for sustained output, is helpful. The specific muscles used in cycling obviously need a work out, but (particularly if you weigh 250, as I also do), just keeping the whole basic engine able to put out sustained effort over a long day is really key. You can do this with riding (obviously), but also walking, running, rowing machine, stair machine, blah blah blah. Balanced muscle work is a good idea, as over developing just very specific muscles may lead to an inbalance that will show up in musculo-skeletal system. So, do a variety of workouts. Swim. But build up to long output capability, and particularly, ride hills when ever you can.

Good luck,
Mr. Chunks
Tender Chunks

Postby MarkG » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:57 pm

Matt - the link below has some exercises on their Core Strenght Guide, and no equipment is needed to do them (except for a floor).

http://www.smiweb.org/massage/injuries.html

Mark
MarkG

Postby David R » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:45 am

I did a 75 mile ride this weekend with 4500 feet of elevation. It was pretty easy, I could have done a 100 but I would have been in pain, mostly my seat and back, the legs had no issues, the interval work outs have realy paid off, I could attack the hills and still recover each time. I probably wont increase the milage until June, but I will try to sneak in some shorter but back to back rides.
David R

Postby matt.picio » Thu May 10, 2007 3:12 pm

Thanks for the link, MarkG!

Tender Chunks, I will definitely be doing cardio exercises. I did a fair amount of hiking and some mountaineering in 2002, and I'm a regular bike commuter (well, usually a regular commuter), so I keep the heart rate up a bit.

I've just passed 1,200 miles for the year, and it feels pretty good so far.

Side note: I sort-of practiced a downhill this morning - I hit 42.8 mph while riding down Otty Rd. Looking forward to the 40-miler on Day 4!
matt.picio

Next

Return to 2007 Week Ride - September 8-15