Training?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Postby MarkG » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:39 am

I can say that I'm as ready now as I ever will be (I've ridden over 2700 miles this year), so I'm not concerned about trying to get in more miles for training purposes. The weekend group rides are lots of fun, so I'd like to to them for pure enjoyment. On the other hand I'm uncertain about how much tapering is really needed for recovery and rest reasons.

10 days from now I won't have to worry about it anymore!

Mark
MarkG

Postby slv0700 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:21 am

Mark, if you have ridden that much, you have nothing to worry about.
You wouldn't have any trouble even if you didn't rest the week before,
but it might make you feel good to just relax next week. Of course,
people who ride that much find it hard to just relax !! I prefer riding
a little.
slv0700

Postby ColoRamb » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:34 am

Amen!!! I've got 2000 for the year and lots of climbing and altitude (Mt.Evans, Vail etc.) Cant wait for this to launch. When you get so finely tuned it gets hard to "taper", I've found that I just "creak" around like the old(er) guy I am :wink: easier to just continue with the daily regimen!! :D
Last edited by ColoRamb on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be the arrow...
ColoRamb

Postby matt.picio » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:42 pm

I'm now just under 3,400 miles. I'm debating whether to bike camp this weekend. I'm more confident about my fitness, but still concerned about time-in-saddle. (I guess I'll *always* be concerned, no matter how much I ride, until I've actually ridden CO)

I'm about as prepared as I can be, so we'll see how it goes. I look forward to meeting many of you on the ride!
matt.picio

Don't worry, be happy

Postby John A Campbell » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:33 pm

We're all always concerned. About the third day you will start out and think "I'm not sure I can do this" Ignore it. It goes away. Remember that when it happens. You'll be fine.

John
John A Campbell

Postby MarkG » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:51 pm

So this thread has more responses than any others on the site.. Woohoo!! And here's one more!

I'm easily amused.

If CO would hurry up and start it would give me something better to do.

Mark
MarkG

Postby Tender Chunks » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:21 pm

Let's see. On my first CO in 2001, I logged 2980 miles between on road and stationary bike. I felt pretty good. Last year, I rode 3 times during the summer, on the road, and a fair amount of 30 - 60 minute stationary bike sessions. This year, I have ridden 3 times on my bike, and some stationary and some more walking. Gee, I hope I'm not over trained! The truth is, CO isn't that hard to do. Lots of training, which I'm all in favor of, just means you get into camp a few minutes or hours earlier. I've been swamped by work, and am just glad to have a chance to get out there and see the beautiful country and have a heart attack! At least it will be a beautiful place to do it. See you out there!!
Tender Chunks

Postby David R » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:00 pm

It is not about how many miles you log but the type of miles. 1000 miles a year is enough if you are doing interval training. 1000 miles of riding in the flats is not going to get the job done. 3000 miles a year should have you in shape unless all the miles are down hill.
David R

Postby cubert » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:14 am

A good way to train is trying to take three 30-60 mile bike rides a week, and make sure they have some hillls to. Another good way is to establish a 20 to 40 mile route have you and your friends try to get the best time, almost like a time trial.
cubert

Postby D-D » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:20 pm

David R wrote:...1000 miles of riding in the flats is not going to get the job done.

OK. Being one of two Indiana riders this year (see the latest newsletter), I have to say that riding the flats is not necessarily a benchmark for whether or not you can do CO. We go out at lunch every day and do 15 to 20 miles at 20 - 22 m.p.h. This is Indiana, so everything is flat. If you must do flats, it is how you do them that counts. Not to mention the importance of cross training, like triahtlons, or trail runs, etc. At 40 y.o. I am at my best health, and I guarantee I can do this ride. These flats WILL get the job done.

Remember, it's not a race, so who cares who is in camp first. It won't be me. But I won't be last.
Corn is your friend...
D-D

Postby Shifty » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:13 pm

D-D wrote:
David R wrote:...1000 miles of riding in the flats is not going to get the job done.

OK. Being one of two Indiana riders this year (see the latest newsletter), I have to say that riding the flats is not necessarily a benchmark for whether or not you can do CO. We go out at lunch every day and do 15 to 20 miles at 20 - 22 m.p.h. This is Indiana, so everything is flat. If you must do flats, it is how you do them that counts. Not to mention the importance of cross training, like triahtlons, or trail runs, etc. At 40 y.o. I am at my best health, and I guarantee I can do this ride. These flats WILL get the job done.

Remember, it's not a race, so who cares who is in camp first. It won't be me. But I won't be last.
You'll be fine if you are in good shape. You might want to think about your gearing, the climbs are worthy of lower gears for sure.

Have fun and enjoy your trip to our state!!
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

Postby David R » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:30 pm

If you are riding at 20-22 mph in the flats for 20 min non stop then you are either

16 years old and nothing matters

you have ridden more than a 1000 miles this year but you don't own an odometer (20mileX5daysX52weeks=5200miles)

you were already an elite rider at the begining of the year and you've lost conditoning

or you are doing 20 mile intervals once a day.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
David R

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:18 am

David R wrote:If you are riding at 20-22 mph in the flats for 20 min non stop then you are either

16 years old and nothing matters

you have ridden more than a 1000 miles this year but you don't own an odometer (20mileX5daysX52weeks=5200miles)

you were already an elite rider at the begining of the year and you've lost conditoning

or you are doing 20 mile intervals once a day.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or you are riding a highracer recumbent. 8)
Force 5 Robert

Postby blueskies » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:47 pm

D-D wrote:OK. Being one of two Indiana riders this year (see the latest newsletter)...

Team Hoosier Daddy, right?
blueskies

Previous

Return to 2007 Week Ride - September 8-15