Training?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Postby pumatracker » Tue May 29, 2007 6:38 pm

For those in the Central Oregon area: Hwy 242, the McKinzie Hwy remains closed to vehicles due to snow, but is open to cyclists and hikers. There is one lane open through some of the drifts. I was up there over Memorial Day weekend and it was fabulous! I'll try to keep tabs on when it will be open to vehicles.
pumatracker

Postby MarbleMtn » Wed May 30, 2007 7:55 am

Rumor has it that McKenzie Pas will be open for cyclist but not cars thru June 15th. Then it will be closed to all for road work until August.

Clyde
MarbleMtn

How many miles?

Postby suziqt » Wed May 30, 2007 8:39 am

Unfortunately, I have just begun to ride. Saturday went out for a 30 mile ride, got us lost and we ended up going 52! (((Do not let suzi lead, eh Marble?).

Rode Monday for 35 along with all the holiday traffic..........(((scary))) :shock:

SuziQT
suziqt

Postby MarbleMtn » Wed May 30, 2007 2:20 pm

Never let Suzie led. Most people do not go go Green Peter Lake on the Strawberry Century. But the Scenic Suzie route does.

We did fun 50 mile ride Eugene to Pleasant Hill, Jasper, over Weyerhauser Rd to Thurston, and McKenzie View Dr.
This weekend we are running Newport Marathon but riding a lot after that.

Call for evening ride.

Clyde
MarbleMtn

pick a sport

Postby suziqt » Wed May 30, 2007 2:24 pm

Yo, Doc!
Hey now.............I zone out when riding on beautiful days so a map means nothing to me. :shock: :shock:

Have you sold out to running???? Are you a cyclist???? Are you "running" the CO????? Why I outta!!!!!
:evil:
QT
suziqt

Postby MarbleMtn » Wed May 30, 2007 3:33 pm

I am so a cycler.

Running 26.2 miles hurts and hurts for weeks. Running two in 5 weeks is stupid. I am so ready to get back on my bike and enjoy riding in the country side around Eugene. Cycling is like taking a road trip and marathoning is like proving how much misery you can push thru. They do not even stop for lunch, how uncivilised is that?

Clyde
MarbleMtn

Postby suziqt » Wed May 30, 2007 3:37 pm

No lunch!!!! :shock: I'm out!!
Two marathons in 5 weeks is amazing!!!!!
suziqt

Postby Chuck B. » Thu May 31, 2007 7:26 am

suziqt wrote:No lunch!!!! :shock: I'm out!!
Two marathons in 5 weeks is amazing!!!!!

No, two marathons in 5 weeks is deranged... :shock:
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Try back to back weekend marathons. DeRanGeD

Postby murphdog0_0 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:33 pm

Clyde good luck in the marathon this weekend. Have a few of the RARE Oyster shooters for me while you on the course. :shock: My wife and I did back to back weekend marathons because one was in Coeur d'Alene (born there) and the other was on our wedding anniversary (The Gorge Marathon). Now THAT is deranged. Marathons and long long climbs seem like they are more mental than physical at times. It's amazing what you can do if you get you can get your head wrapped around it. :wink: No marathon for us today on our anniversary...just a big dinner and a looooong ride tomorrow. It sounds like suziqt would be quite the tour guide :!:

Murphdog0_0
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.........PTL.
murphdog0_0

Postby MarbleMtn » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:55 pm

murphdog.

I do not eat raw oysters even if free and fresh out of the bay as you run along Yaquina Bay. But my wife, Bridget, is the "Oyster Queen" of the Newport marathon and this year ate 49 (forty nine!!) oysters during the marathon. A world marathon record.

Happy anniversary. Ours is June 17th and will not be celebrated with oysters.

Clyde
MarbleMtn

Postby murphdog0_0 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:57 pm

Clyde,

I don't know what is tougher....the marathon or stomaching "49" oysters. I couldn't even get my wife to eat just one. An Anniversary and Fathers Day (the 17th) all at the same time...sweet. Well now that the running is over and you have your "heron medal" you can get back to some important training, like how to balance a cappuccino while you shifting gears going up a hill. Congratulations!

Murphdog.
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.........PTL.
murphdog0_0

Burnout

Postby Chris P » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:51 pm

OK, I've got 1500 miles, I did Tour de Blast and Mt Adams Cycle tour etc. I've following the accepted wisdom of +10-15%/week in miles. I did a 750 mile base. But I'm losing my motivation here.

I mean, yeah, I want to go on CO and not SAG, but heck, this ride EVERY Saturday and 2-3 times during the week is getting old! I'm missing my life here! I need a break!

So the question is, how much of a break should a person take before they are really just flaking out? 1 week? 2?

Advice from seasoned TBB people (and others!) appreciated. This is my first CO.

- Chris P. Critter

"Do or do not, there is no 'try'" - Yoda
Chris P

Re: Burnout

Postby Don Bolton » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:29 am

One thing to learn is to take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Its not that we don't have real wisdom, its that each of us differs in what works for us. We aren't all the same.

Do what you are comfortable with and don't obsess on training. The miles you have already done will serve as a good base. You've proven to yourself what you can do. Take a week or two off the bike to mow the lawn, see a movie, bust cattle, whatever.

Then when you get back on the bike RIDE FOR FUN! Explore those roads you keep passing by, go out on a ride with no goals just let the miles unfold as your spirit dictates.

Ride for what makes you happy. Then several weeks before the ride spend the entire week on the bike. No not all day, just 20 or so miles each and a longish ride or two on the final weekend. For us wedgie riders I refer to that as "seat tenderizer week". Gets your backside familiar with the seat every day.

Then don't ride at all for at least the week prior. One thing about a long break is that you will come back really strong. Temper yourself as you can push that too hard that first day and make the next day or two a chore.

On your first CO its the unknown. Know that you will be strong the first day and the second. Also know that the morning of day 3 is a bit "uh oh" but after you loosen up that morning you will get stronger the rest of the week. Stronger than ever!

Do whatever it takes to maintain the joy of riding. Thats the training you need.

Don "free advice is worth what you pay even from me" Bolton

Chris P wrote:OK, I've got 1500 miles, I did Tour de Blast and Mt Adams Cycle tour etc. I've following the accepted wisdom of +10-15%/week in miles. I did a 750 mile base. But I'm losing my motivation here.

I mean, yeah, I want to go on CO and not SAG, but heck, this ride EVERY Saturday and 2-3 times during the week is getting old! I'm missing my life here! I need a break!

So the question is, how much of a break should a person take before they are really just flaking out? 1 week? 2?

Advice from seasoned TBB people (and others!) appreciated. This is my first CO.

- Chris P. Critter

"Do or do not, there is no 'try'" - Yoda
Don Bolton

Postby slv0700 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:08 am

I second that advice! This route looks more appealing then last years
of total climbing every day.
slv0700

Re: Burnout

Postby bfuller24 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:14 pm

I experienced the same thing last year while obsessively following my first CO adventure training plan. Too much repetion and too many lonely miles on the bike...got to July and had a hard time facing the miles of the "next ride." What worked really well for me last year was avoiding solo rides except when it was an emergency (emergency defined as too many days without any riding makes me crazy). I found a few groups that did not object to having me along and it made all the difference in the world. Seek out a nice group or just a few friends. In any club ride or group that rides regularly, there will be several different speeds and routes but always good company and that makes the miles go by much faster and is much closer to the friendly Cycle Oregon miles that we will be riding in September anyhow.
Brad "getting back to training after a 2.5 month 'break' " Fuller
Stronger today than yesterday but not as strong as tomorrow.
bfuller24

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Week Ride - September 8-15