Training?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Postby Chris P » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:22 pm

Thanks. I took last week off. I can hear a voice in the garage whispering "C'mon...lets go for a ride..."

It gets louder every day. Who knew?

Chris "Hearing voices now, should I worry?" P.
Chris P

Postby Chuck B. » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:50 pm

Chris P wrote:T

Chris "Hearing voices now, should I worry?" P.

No, don't worry , because the voices have really good ideas sometimes. Just go with 'em...
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby MarbleMtn » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:27 am

Hi Brad. See you in Sept.

Clyde & Bridget.
MarbleMtn

See you in September

Postby bfuller24 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:57 pm

Thanks Clyde and Bridget,
Hope you two are doing well and trianing smart. You bet you will see me in Septtember...I am about 10lbs. bigger than this time last year so you won't have any trouble spotting me as you go by.
Brad "riding daily now but still a long way to go" Fuller
Stronger today than yesterday but not as strong as tomorrow.
bfuller24

Postby Force 5 Robert » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:14 pm

Training still going well for you all?

Man this year it seems like I can NEVER get time to get out for any length of time.

Best thing though - rode the Seattle to Portland ride a few weeks ago and did it in one day. The CO days will now seem so short!!! :) Of course the STP is relatively flat in comparison, but before the STP I was really worried about my level of readiness. Not so anymore.

Only 6 weeks to go!!!!!!!!!!!

8)
Force 5 Robert

Postby Chuck B. » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:24 am

Want an interesting training ride? I did 39 mostly asphalt miles a couple of evenings ago on my mountain bike/commuter scooter. The tires are kevlar belted with slime in both tubes and a thorn resistant rear tube. That sucker's tires are heavy. Combine that with a headwind and a lot of uphill, and you get a pretty intense workout...

As I told my wife, that bike's not nearly as fast as my Roubaix... :shock:
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby matt.picio » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Force 5 Robert wrote:Training still going well for you all?

Man this year it seems like I can NEVER get time to get out for any length of time.

I'm still concerned how I'll hold up, mostly because of altitude, and my weight. (and the fact that I'll be riding CO on a mountain bike - my only bike)

I commute by bike about 3 days a week, 12.5 miles one way. I've ridden 2,850 miles so far this year, but only 4 rides greater than 50 miles. I *did* do StP again this year, so I can still do back-to-back centuries, but it wiped me out for 3 days, and that ride's FLAT.

How many "slow" riders are out there, anyway? My other worry is no one to draft off of (or ride along with) for the entire 7 days.
matt.picio

Postby Tender Chunks » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:20 pm

Matt,
Let's see - this is my 7th CO. I ride a steel frame Raleigh C400 (I know - try to keep the jealousy down, folks), fondly referred to as cast iron. Last year, I rode my bike three times in the summer, then rode Co and felt like a frikkin' motorcycle! (It was the beer, I swear...)

I think this year I may make 6 - 8 training rides, plus a lot of gym stationary bike and walking and other general cardio-vasclar stuff. Trust me - you can do this, unless you smoke 3 packs a day.

Unless you are in really sorry shape, major training just has to do with how much fun you will have, how fast you will get into camp (irrelevant if you do tent and porter), and how much damage you will cause to the road pavement lugging your sorry ass over it.

You'll be fine! Keep a stiff upper lip, walk whenever you can, ride whenever you can, always take the stairs in buildings, keep moving all day long - you'll ace it! There are no judges holding up cards saying 7.2!

Good luck, see you there.
Tender Chunks

Postby Force 5 Robert » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:13 am

My goal - absent this year of a lot of training: Remember to look at the scenery and just enjoy every minute of being out there away from reality!!!!

This might mean some slower days.... maybe I will have some faster days. But unlike last year - I will NOT be zen focused on riding as fast and hard as possible.

Did that last week and while I had fun - a few of the days I simply rode too hard and fast and sitting in camp for hours on end a few of the days riding in with the fast crowd was not the best use of my time. Ironically those are the days I took few if any pictures and video on the road and are the days I remember the least.
Force 5 Robert

Postby Don Bolton » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:32 am

Matt:

Riders that are commuters seem to be better staged for the ride than the normal weekend warrior class. The constant use of the bicycle seems to do wonders for overall strength and stamina.

I took a lesson from that page this year and have been "commuting" on my trainer most every day. I'm riding stronger than ever and even though the trainer sessions are only 50 minute shots they have made immense improvement on my stamina. I went from a 60 mile big day to a century with no ill effect.

If you can, before you shut down riding for that week or two prior, see if you can commute every day (or at least put in an hour on the bike daily). It'll act as a "seat tenderizer" time and give you the best edge you can get for the ride.

Realize after resting up a week or two will find you incredibly strong on the first day. Temper that, there are six more to follow. Starting after you loosening up on day 3 you will get stronger the rest of the week.

Remember the ride is not a race its an experience. There are a number of paceline fliers that seem to think being first into camp is important. But they miss the moments with the locals or other riders just out to ride and enjoy each other and the sights.

You've a ton of base miles in already, you've the technique, you've put in the time, just know you can do this. Especially if you just kick back and ride for the fun.

Don "mid pack rider and proud of it" Bolton
matt.picio wrote:
Force 5 Robert wrote:Training still going well for you all?

I'm still concerned how I'll hold up, mostly because of altitude, and my weight. (and the fact that I'll be riding CO on a mountain bike - my only bike)

I commute by bike about 3 days a week, 12.5 miles one way. I've ridden 2,850 miles so far this year, but only 4 rides greater than 50 miles. I *did* do StP again this year, so I can still do back-to-back centuries, but it wiped me out for 3 days, and that ride's FLAT.

How many "slow" riders are out there, anyway? My other worry is no one to draft off of (or ride along with) for the entire 7 days.
Don Bolton

Postby Force 5 Robert » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:47 am

matt.picio wrote:...I *did* do StP again this year, so I can still do back-to-back centuries, but it wiped me out for 3 days, and that ride's FLAT.

FWIW, I did STP as well. One day rider - I shocked myself the most considering my weak-as-hell training to that point. I did a share of drafiting folks myself and that helped a lot. However - compared to last years CO, with all its brutal climbing, the STP to me was harrowing and stressful experience, and not just because I was riding 203 miles in one day. CO 2006 was much more relaxing - even when I was strained and felt like it was over on the Anthony Lakes day - there was that part of me inside that was all giddy about just being there that took all the stress edge off. It is hard to explain, but there was just something about being at CO that made it SO different from all the other organized rides. I did not feel this giddy relief on the STP. CO will be such a blast that I imagine you will feel the same. I know I can't wait for it!! :)
Force 5 Robert

Been there, done that

Postby John A Campbell » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:41 am

10 days left. No more long rides. No more taking the long way to work. No more 12 mile climbs. Just ride my fixed gear for fun and dream about next week.

John
John A Campbell

Postby MarkG » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:52 am

What do you consider a "long ride". I haven't been on any week long rides before, and am not sure how much I need to taper before the big event. More specifically, are a couple of 40-50 mile group rides this weekend a bad idea?

Mark
MarkG

Postby All about downhills » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:31 am

Tapering off differs for many, but keep in mind - if you aren't ready now, nothing you do this weekend will really change it that much.

In the past I've done maybe a 40-50 on one day, or two 30's the weekend before. But that's because I also just like to bike, not because of training. Didn't do anything too difficult, just keeping the legs moving.

I'm not even riding this weekend, just going to lay on the beach and try to get my bike short tan line up a little higher on the leg. :-)

Take time to relax. Make sure you have all your stuff for the trip and do some last minute shopping as needed.
All about downhills

I'd second that

Postby John A Campbell » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:17 am

keep in mind - if you aren't ready now, nothing you do this weekend will really change it that much

I'd second that
Nothing you do in the next 10 days will help. There are lots of things you can do that are bad. Ride "enough" (varies with the individual) to keep your legs loose but don't train anymore.

As Charlie Papazian says "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew"

Or more commonly "It's Miller time"

John
John A Campbell

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Week Ride - September 8-15