Are you IN? Thoughts on the route?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Are you IN? Thoughts on the route?

Postby Force 5 Robert » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:17 pm

I am so stoked for this year. Lots of great climbs and lots of equally amazing downhills. Oh yes.

Now just have to wait until the 14th!

Robert
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Re: Are you IN? Thoughts on the route?

Postby murphdog0_0 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:32 pm

We won't be doing it this year again. I was hoping for a more epic ride and have been through that area several times. I got excited about heading north and wanted to go up towards Mt. Adams, Mt. Ranier, and circle around Mt. St.Helen's along some of the rivers before heading back to the Dalles. I like the challenges of the upcoming hills though. :lol:
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.........PTL.
murphdog0_0

Postby murphdog0_0 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:46 pm

We won't be doing it this year again. I was hoping for a more epic ride and have been through that area several times. I got excited about heading north and wanted to go up towards Mt. Adams, Mt. Rainier, and circle around Mt. St.Helen's along some of the rivers before heading back to the Dalles. I like the challenges of the upcoming hills though...it'll be non-stop hills of sorts. :lol:
murphdog0_0

Postby dunshay04 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Due to a conflict in schedule, I knew I wasn't going to be able to go this year but I was ready to whine about it loudly! After seeing the route, there will be no whining. Glad to sit this one out.
dunshay04

Postby AllCOVet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Do you know if it's the same registration date for the ones who got the card @ the kick off. I heard him say they are not good at computers but thought that applied to just the online registration.
The card says good until Feb 5 @ midnight which is tonight?

Thanks
AllCOVet

Postby murphdog0_0 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:19 pm

My understanding while watching the live feed was everyone will register on the 14th due to computer problems.
murphdog0_0

Postby checkered_demon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:03 pm

I have been trying to register since the site "opened" for registration this evening, it's now past 10pm and still no luck. I didn't watch the stream, and the mention that registration may be put off until Valentine's day. This reminds me of last year's registration debacle. So I'll click away here for awhile longer before I go to bed. I'll try again tomorrow, and check the forum to see if there's any news.
The Checkered Demon
checkered_demon

Postby Jackson » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:19 pm

Registration is not open and will start sometime on the 14th. Still having a few last minute issues with the site. Thought it would be better to wait and work out the problems than to go through another process like last year. Stay tuned for more information on the forum, blog, Facebook or email. Coupon codes will still be honored for those who got one at the kickoff party. They will be good for 2.5 hours following the opening of the ride registration.
Jackson

Postby Leedo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:08 am

I am IN. I'll register and attempt to get everything in order to make this work. Lots of family obligations.

Speaking of family, my wife's family is from the Dufur area. Lots of roads and landmarks are named after them. Not to mention half the cemetery are her relatives. I LOVE the climb up the Rowena loops to the lookout. Should be a lot of fun.

Lots of climbing. Time to up the training and lose some ballast (i.e. fat).
Image - Leedo

A.K.A. Supergrover
My Blog: normalguytri.com
Twitter: @normalguytri
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedo
Leedo

Postby magesh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:47 am

I'll pass. I have done most of the routes on my own multiple times & will be doing them again this summer. I was *really* hoping CO to take us out Wallawa National :-(.

AW, I immensely enjoyed CO 26. It was out there in the boondocks & it was RURAL. Loved it & was expecting the same.

$1000/- saved.

:-(
M
magesh

Postby mytrot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:10 am

CO has been in the Wallowa area twice since 08. Was not likely to happen this soon.
mytrot

Postby RichBenn » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:05 am

We had to drop out last year due to my wife's injury before the ride, so we were looking forward to this year. I was feeling a little down on it before it was announced, but when my wife saw the route she says "we gotta go". We aren't from Oregon, but we have spent a little time in the Gorge and look forward to seeing some areas we haven't visited. Might be different for those of you who ride that area regularly.

The route will be a bit challenging, but it's really spread out so no more than two "real" passes per day. (We have 5-8 3000+ feet climbs in one day on the two most popular rides here). So I guess we are "in"!

Rich
RichBenn

Postby funtimes » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:37 am

Personally I am thrilled with the route, it's all new to me.

Even if it weren't entirely new territory I would be happy with a seven day ride in any region. Having done extensive searches many times, the best seven-day, large and organized rides are in Iowa and Oregon. (Also, I thought I was going to hate last year but as many know, it was fantastic.) The excitement is not 100% tied to the route. In my book it breaks down something like this:

50% 7-day organized ride in any region (but especially remote ones) with full well-organized and visible support,
20% interactions with people,
10% route location,
10% route challenge,
10% ride size.

For me this adds up to 100% fun!
What's your idea of fun?
funtimes

Postby Olie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:18 pm

I signed up for the ride the last time I rode CO we went from Bend to Crater Lake , is this similar or totally different scenery...?. Will some of it be Biking through mountains or mostly low plains..?
Olie

Postby David R » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:08 pm

Scenery will be very different, longer vistas, more gold less green, less shade, while more vertical it will actually be less steep. The climb out of Dufur is not very steep but 17 miles of climbing with no relief is going to be special, lucky you will be hitting it fresh. That hill is so long I get tire just coasting down it.
David R

Next

Return to 2014 Week Ride – September 6-13