First time rider question ... Weather?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

First time rider question ... Weather?

Postby cyclingbeaver » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:20 pm

We are coming from Colorado - I'm a veteran of 6 Ride the Rockies, 2 Bicycle Tours of Colorado, and 1 RAGBRAI. Really looking forward to riding in Oregon since this will be completely new. Given that, what should we expect the weather to be like in September? I've only been to Seaside and Portland in September, and that was 20 years ago. Someone told us to expect the weather to be similar to what we are used to in Colorado since this is the "dry" area of Oregon. Any tips/recommendations/advice would be appreciated. We are using the Tent and Porter service so I'd like to know what to expect for night-time as well as day-time riding ...
cyclingbeaver

Re: First time rider question ... Weather?

Postby Jackson » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:24 pm

This is Oregon, plan for dry or wet conditions. upper 30's for lows to high 80's during the day. Extremes on either side. Check the weather forecast about 10 days prior for a better chance at getting it correct.
Jackson

Postby Entiat » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Chances are you won't need your rain or winter gear much if at all, but definitely bring some. The "average" day will start out chilly (arm warmers and full gloves) but rapidly warm up to summer gear (CO is great about gear drops).

But north central Oregon (and south central Washington) can pretty much do anything. You might spend the week in your summer gear and never touch an arm warmer...or you might have to break out rain gear for a couple days...although the "average" day in those parts, that time of year, has no rain and mild-to-warm temps.

I recall one ride (2006? 2008?) where the forecast for the entire week was sunny...right up until the next to last day of the week and snow closed our intended route and they re-routed us through some wickedly cold rain instead. (lobster claws FTW!)

Then there was La Pine in 2007, morning frost at about 23F (inside of tent was caked in condensation ice), afternoon in the high 80's to 90+ (hooray for gear drops!). That night I had my towel and every piece of clothing piled on top of my 40F sleeping bag and just shivered the night away...since then I've brought a 15F sleeping bag.

Older-timers than me will list other years that had even colder days (something about Ukiah and 19F, I've heard).

Getting hit by a (warm) thunderstorm isn't unheard of, either.

Even on average years, nights in camp can be chilly, or in some locales windy+chilly. Don't forget a wool hat of some sort for hanging out in the beer/wine garden.

Summary: don't overpack rain or winter gear...but bring some. I bring a goretex rain jacket, lobster claws and full fingered gloves, arm and leg warmers, amphib shoe covers and one pair of super warm socks. Plus a little chilly weather gear (vest, thin skull caps, etc.), in addition summer gear which gets the most wear. There have been years I haven't touched any winter/rain gear. But there have also been the occasional day where it would have truly sucked if I didn't have that gear along.
Entiat

Postby cyclingbeaver » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like if we just pack the way we do for Ride the Rockies we'll be fine ... we've had frosty tents, cold rain, snow, lightning, hail, you name it, and then years like last year where we never had to use any of the cold/rain gear. Looking forward to the ride, seeing new scenery and meeting new people :)
cyclingbeaver

Postby Entiat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:46 pm

Welcome aboard. If you enjoy this year, I suggest coming back and trying the Cycle Oregon experience from every camping angle. Tent & Porter is popular and is what I did the first few times, but I prefer setting up my own tent in a place of my own choosing - as you will see, T&P sets up your tent within inches of the tents next to you...think of them as apartments rather than individual housing units :) Bring earplugs so you don't have to hear snoring, shuffling or amorous neighbors.

In addition to getting a few more feet of separation from your neighbors, when you set your own tent up you can sometimes find awesome places to do so, including neighbor's front yards where they invite you in for dinner, hidden schoolyards with access to real restrooms, etc.

It also makes a nice break to grab a hotel room on one of the middle days and stay there.

After that, there's the entire RV experience which makes CO a completely different beast altogether. And even within that, there are both the "official" RV experience and the unofficial ones, where your driver finds random spots to camp somewhere near the CO site each night - and even within that there is a community of "outcast" types populating that realm.

Whatever you do, don't forget to interact with the local communities. Go on whatever tours are available. Sign up for activities. And absolutely, positively buy cookies or lemonade from any children selling them.

The beer in the beer gardens is great. The wine, Eola Hills, is not great but still ok. The pizza incredible after a long ride in spite of my usual attempts to stay on the primal diet. The overall food offerings range from ok to good...but definitely eat at a local restaurant and/or pizza on salmon night.

It's a week I look forward to every year. Have fun.
Entiat

Postby Force 5 Robert » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Is it September yet?!?!?

:D :D :D :D
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby mytrot » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:21 pm

89 days......
mytrot

Postby JohnB » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:27 pm

mytrot wrote:89 days......

Can't wait! :)
JohnB

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:37 am

Entiat wrote:Then there was La Pine in 2007, morning frost at about 23F (inside of tent was caked in condensation ice),

I remember that well. My tent poles had ice on them. Something in my rear hub got affected by the cold so when I rolled my bike forward the pedals turned. Once it warmed up, that stopped.

Also had some ice on the tent in Silver Lake and Prospect in 2012, and the morning at Foft Klamath was very cold setting off for Crater Lake. I remember when the sun finally came up over the surrounding hills. Some riders stopped and held their hands up trying to warm them.
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby mytrot » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:51 am

Definitely some cold mornings in 2012. I had frost on my tent when I unpacked it in the afternoon one day! It does work well if you have a beer to stash for camp setup!
mytrot

Postby Jackson » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:46 am

Weather can do anything in Oregon just look at what happened on the Weekend Ride. Hot, Sunny and dry on Saturday. Rain, hail and thunderstorms on Sunday. Prepare for the worst and enjoy the adventure.
Jackson

Postby jsaddoris » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Coming from Alaska, I worry about the heat and being too hot! :lol: Also the lack of climbs here for training.
jsaddoris

Postby Entiat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:55 am

Coming from Alaska, I worry about the heat and being too hot!

I've spent a lot of time in Alaska on business this year (Cook Inlet area) and definitely appreciate the summer weather in those parts.

The CO route this year (as are most ridden by Cycle Oregon) in September can get quite warm, but it isn't guaranteed. If it happens, just take it slower, stop at a stream and jump in, find a small town air-conditioned antique shop to buy a trinket at for 15-20 minutes, take a nap in some shade somewhere. Although there are some benefits to arriving in camp early (no lines in the showers, better campsite choice, etc.), it is not a race and the shower lines are also short for the very late arrivals.

You've got 7 days for all sorts of riding - I used to hammer my way through all 7. Now I pick a couple (generally not blazing hot) days to play with the hammer crowd, flying along in ever-changing pacelines - and then spend the other days just sort of cruising along and stopping at all the sights and viewpoints and kids' lemonade stands along the way.
Entiat

Postby Jackson » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:26 am

The Dalles Average temperatures for CO Week Highs 84, Lows 51. Madras Highs 79, lows 46. Let's hope this runs true.
Jackson

Postby texclydes » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:06 am

Cyclingbeaver:

I am considering doing the TOC this year instead of CO. I loved 2014 CO for the organization at each camp site, the route choices were beautiful and safe, the people, on and on. How does the Colorado ride compare? I have heard it is much smaller in size, so not sure how to interpret that (is the the route especially hard or what).

Thanks for any thoughts you can share.
texclydes

Next

Return to 2014 Week Ride – September 6-13