need to keep laptop for work during CO

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

need to keep laptop for work during CO

Postby Joliolio » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:27 pm

is it reasonable to assume that I might pack a laptop in my bag (with a hard case) and keep it safe during the many moves in the tent/porter option? Will there be some other kind of storage for laptops? There must be lots of other self-employed types that need to keep the pulse on their businesses during this week. Thanks for any ideas or assistance.
Joliolio

Re: need to keep laptop for work during CO

Postby mytrot » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Joliolio
I have seen folks with tablets, don't know that I have ever seen a laptop.

Most people have soft sided bags at CO. If that is the case it should be a good, hard case to protect it. Think airline luggage, likely a bit rougher as it is often the local football team handling it.

And no, there is not an organized option to handle delicate luggage. You may post here on the boards for a volunteer or rider guest who is driving from camp to camp to see if they will carry it if you are concerned. Might cost you a cold beverage!

I have taken a solar panel for several years. Smaller than most tablets when folded. I pack it in a Tupperware container and place it carefully between soft items. So far so good. Don't know that I would try it with my laptop!

FYI, I think most of us that have to work a little along the way rely on smart phones. In a pinch there are often computers available in the local towns but no guarantees.

ELT
mytrot

Postby Penguin » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:41 am

Joliolio,
I have taken a laptop on past rides and had no problem storing it in my soft-sided gear bag. I just buried it in the middle of the bag. You could also wrap it inside your sleeping bag. Be aware that you will not always have service at every camp site location.

Charging services are available on the ride. Look under Ride Details: In Camp: Camp Services. You need to register ahead of time to guarantee a charger.

JP
Penguin

Postby Entiat » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:16 am

I took my laptop along last year; I put it in a pelican case http://www.pelican.com/case_group_search/CaseGroup/Laptop/ which works...but takes up a lot of space in my bag. Remember that your bag could be at the bottom of thousands of pounds of bags, and could be tossed long distances and dropped from a truck by some high school kid...I'd only take my laptop if it was in a pelican.

Charging is usually no problem - take a bottle of wine and offer a glass to one of the people in the RV camp section and someone will generally let you steal a few electrons from their generator - most people on Cycle Oregon love to make new friends. We are trying the RV thing ourselves this year - if you find a beat-up old Gulfstream (we use it for horse camping so it gets rather trashed) with a Cervelo out front, say hi :D

Or find school libraries, coffee shops, etc. Our route this year looks a little less rural than last year, so there should be more electrical outlets along the way.
Entiat

Postby Jackson » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Bring a back up charger or two and a solar recharger for the bike. You can charge the back ups, phone or iPod while out on the course and have enough power to use devices in camp. If you have a spare, you'll never run out of power. Finding a signal for wi-fi is another matter.
Jackson

Postby bogiesan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:44 pm

I sympathize with your apparent need but I also know almost everything you need to do can be handled with a phone and a competent assistant these days. The risk to your notebook is great unless it is adequately protected. A good case and spare batteries add much weight to your bag. You will not always have internet access but you will have pretty good cell service in camps. Check your provider's coverage.

Isn't there anyone alive who can make a few noncritical decisions for you while you are on VACATION for six days? Just a few years ago, only about 10% of CO riders had primitive cellphones. The US economy did not collapse, our businesses and marriages survived.
RTFM
bogiesan

Postby Stu » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Vacation? What is that? As a self-employed engineering consultant, all "vacations" are working vacations (so are holidays and sick days). There is no one else in a 1-person company to take over when I'm not working. There is some truth to the old joke that, when you are self-employed, you only have to work half-time -- and you get to pick which 12 hours a day it is. My work gives me the flexibility to do CO, but I don't get to just leave work behind for an entire week.

I am really glad to see this discussion thread. It is comforting to know that I won't be the only cyclist mixing fun and work during the week. This is my first CO, and I, too, need to bring a laptop in order to continue to work on a major project that has weekly milestones that must be met (a tablet or smart phone cannot run the engineering software I use). I've got a fold-up solar charger that is beefy enough to keep my laptop charged, and am hoping there will be lots of sunshine each afternoon after getting set up in camp (and before breaking camp the next morning). Weight is a concern, but getting my work is more important than extra clothes.

The suggestions to make friends at the RV camp and to visit local libraries is very helpful. Thanks to those who are contributing to this topic!
Stu

Postby mytrot » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:22 pm

This year cell service should be OK in most areas. Dufur/Tygh valley could be dodgy for good data coverage. And keep in mind, 2000 cyclists can overload some of these areas.

Happy Camp a few years ago was dead for service!
mytrot

Postby raftersteve » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi,

just get a hard shell case simple google search shows several good ones.

Do you have an SSD? Might be a good idea to switch over to one.
CO '10,'11,'12,'13
raftersteve

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:08 pm

You definitely will not be the only one - I will be working as well some of the time. The realities! I don't mind though - working in the bike industry allows me to be on CO.

8)
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby Jackson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:45 am

Not sure if this is an option, but you might ask the Blog trailer personnel (once you arrive) if they can transport the computer. They may not want to be responsible for it but it is worth a try. A hard shell case is the best bet if not.
Jackson

Postby markawilliams » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:56 pm

I have taken my Macbook Air the last three years by using a G-Form Extreme Sleeve (G-Form.com) and it worked great for me. I will probably do the same this year. I stuff the notebook in its sleeve in the middle of my North Face duffel. It allowed me to work when needed as was also a back up charger for my iPhone / bike computer when I forgot to get them charged at the community cycling center. I would rather spend a few hours working during the ride keeping things moving than to work like crazy for the next few weeks or when I return.
markawilliams

Postby Joliolio » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:26 pm

I have decided to carry the Mac Book Pro in a brand new shiny Camel Back (larger than my old one) inside of a water proof zip lock heavy duty bag. Will also be carrying a hot spot, phone and three chargers.

What can I say, single owner of small business and need to stay connected.

Pros…no need to buy a rigid case for the duffel bag.
Have available pretty much all the time if needed.
Can stay on top of things as a small business owner.

Cons…don't fall off and land on it :|

Ride safe!
Joliolio

Return to 2014 Week Ride – September 6-13