Long range Weather

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Long range Weather

Postby Jackson » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:20 am

Forecast is calling for a chance of some rain on Monday and Tuesday (10 days out) near Maupin hopefully it will pass before we arrive. May want to pack a rain jacket just in case.
Jackson

Re: Long range Weather

Postby mytrot » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:56 am

always pack rain gear. bad karma to not ;)
mytrot

Postby Routearrows » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:16 pm

I just did RideIdaho out of Twin Falls and the weather was forecast to be hot and dry, not a chance of rain just two days before. Day one was hot, near 100, day two it rained hard and continued almost non stop for the next four days, with at least some drops on the last two! Many people were without any rain gear. Always bring rain gear!
Randall
Routearrows

Postby Entiat » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:43 pm

Never, ever, ever trust weather forecasts more than about 4 days out. The computer simulations go that far out fairly well, then they start to fall apart (I assume it's an issue with initial conditions rather than system modelling and CPU power...but don't know for sure).

Which means: even if you read the weather forecast on Friday and it says, "No Rain all Week", we still might get rain (or snow in the mountains) by day 7.

Here is my response to a previous post on what to bring.

Basically, prepare for everything, lean towards warm weather gear but definitely bring some rain and cold weather stuff just in case.
Entiat

Postby bogiesan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:24 pm

Routearrows wrote:I just did RideIdaho out of Twin Falls and the weather was forecast to be hot and dry, not a chance of rain just two days before. Day one was hot, near 100, day two it rained hard and continued almost non stop for the next four days, with at least some drops on the last two! Many people were without any rain gear. Always bring rain gear!
Randall

The theme for Ride Idaho 2014 was "Rain, Biblical." A totally unforeseeable monsoon event, might not happen for another hundred years.
Our rain gear on Ride Idaho was a pickup.
RTFM
bogiesan

Return to 2014 Week Ride – September 6-13