Energy drinks/food/Gels?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Energy drinks/food/Gels?

Postby kwolford » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:22 pm

1st timer here wondering what type of energy drinks and if they have energy gel's or power bars at the rest stops throughout the day. In final stages of packing and wondering if I need to include several Gu's for each day as well as an electrolyte energy drink tablets or if they have them available?
kwolford

Re: Energy drinks/food/Gels?

Postby Jackson » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:33 pm

Not sure what the rest stops offer as far as energy drinks, Gu or Power Bars. The sags have a drink additive (powder) in individual packs. We haven't had Gu in a few years. Did at some point but I believe they were a sponsor. There is usually a mix in a large cooler but don't count on it. If you have a preference, I'd pack some just in case. Better to have the item you are used to than to have to break in a new type.

Does anyone have an idea what was used last year? Probably be a similar product. I don't spend much time at the stops as they are difficult for me to get in and out of.
Jackson

Postby ClayL » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Last year was Hammer products
ClayL

Postby mytrot » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:24 pm

They usually have some sort of gel and went to drink tabs a few years ago. Plenty of other stuff to eat. I bring my drink as I like more calories/caffeine and there typically isn't any until the first stop.

I think they have some sort of energy bars in the past or at least decent granola bars.
mytrot

Postby Jackson » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 am

They have a variety of granola bars, packets of nuts, energy goo, usually some small trail mix bags to grab and go. The majority of rest stop food has to be eaten at the stop, not very portable. Drinks include different types of sodas, V8 juice, Kerns juices, gatorade, water.

Response from one of the rest stop coordinators.
Jackson

Postby Entiat » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:38 am

Most years there are gels - I assume the brand depends on who CO can get to donate. Recent years have been Hammer gels.

While the rest stops usually have plenty of great and interesting treats, the supplies of gels are (apparently) a little limited. Even with requests that each person only take one, late arrivals sometimes don't get gels, and some years they have been completely absent from rest stops by day 4 or so.

I prefer Vanilla Powergel (with extra sodium) myself, and my wife likes Clif Shots, so we pack ~20 of them for the ride and carry a couple with us each day. With all the food available along the route I end up only needing to hit the gel on seriously hard or hot days.

As far as drinks - it's been Fizz tablets lately. I'm not a fan at all. In spite of the fact they say "no artificial sweeteners", they load it with sorbitol (yuck), stevia (fine, but I don't like the taste) and wood pulp (YUCK!). So instead, I just drink water and pop salt/electrolyte pills as necessary.
Entiat

Return to 2014 Week Ride – September 6-13