Do you need a bike lock?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Do you need a bike lock?

Postby funtimes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:19 pm

I always bring a light lock, not sure what percentage does not, but I think a little deterrence is a good thing. I know a guy who removes his front wheel, takes it into the tent. only once have I heard of a bike getting stolen on four CO's and I understand the sheriff knew exactly who did it and recovered the bike the same night.
funtimes

Postby badger » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:21 pm

I have done 8 COS and never locked bike. It is always near tent. Don't really think you need one here.
badger

Postby JohnB » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Last edited by JohnB on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnB

Postby Jackson » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:17 pm

There has also been the unfortunate ones who locked their bikes together the night before, got up the next morning, packed, loaded their bags on the luggage truck and then went to breakfast. After breakfast went to get on their bikes only to remember they had locked them the night before. Where was the key, loaded on the baggage truck buried beneath many, many bags. The local fire department was nice enough to free them.
Jackson

Postby David R » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:22 pm

I have carried a light duty lock over the years. I have only used it a few times, Ashland, Medford, Kalamath Falls, but I didn't use it in Bandon. The bigger the city the greater the risk but the real risk is very low. The key is to make your bike more difficult to steal than others. This is easy to do, don't leave it on the outskirts of camp.
David R

Postby lars » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:27 pm

I do have a friend who's bike was stolen on the last night two years ago. Ten high end bikes disappeared that night. Looked like the thief had stalked them for a few nights, knew exactly which bikes he wanted got them into a trailer and took off.

First of all I doubt anyone would really want my 8 year old Litespeed.

And a little deterrent goes a long way. I bring a light weight lock/cable and lock, lean the bike up against a T&P chair and lock it to the chair. If anyone were to grab the bike and try to walk away they would probably get a lot of attention if they were dragging a chair along with them.
lars

Return to 2014 Week Ride – September 6-13