Airline has lost my bike, working on "Plan D"

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Airline has lost my bike, working on "Plan D"

Postby pp186515 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:56 am

I am working on plan "D". My airline has not been able to locate my bike yet and I am not sure if and when it will arrive in Portland. Also, not sure how they can get it to me if I take the noon bus to The Dalles because the address would be difficult to predict.

So, I am hoping to find the following:
1. A ride from Portland to the Dalles once my bike arrives, hopefully this afternoon. I am scheduled for the noon bus, but it may be better for me to wait for my bike if it comes today.
2. A decent 60 cm road bike with SPD petals with a saddle bag of tire tools (maybe parts from multiple folks).

I can staying at the Portland Sheraton and can be reached at 713-320-5830.

Thanks,
Pat
pp186515

Re: Airline has lost my bike, working on "Plan D"

Postby Jackson » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:10 am

I've contacted the ride director. Someone should be getting back to you shortly.
Jackson

Postby Cowboy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:42 am

Pat

I'll work on this and someone from the staff will get in touch with you in a couple hours.

We can get an address in The Dalles for the airline to deliver to, if your bike arrives today.

We'll be in touch.

Steve
Cowboy

Postby pp186515 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:15 am

Thanks for your help.
pp186515

Postby Jackson » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 pm

So...what happened with the bike?
Jackson

Postby pp186515 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:29 pm

So, what happened. That is a great question. The short answer is that I met a lot of fantastic people that went out of their way to help me. I would like to say thank you to Bike Gallery for setting me up on a rental. Also, thank you to Paul from Bend, Oregon who actually brought me his old bike to The Dalles, but it was probably a little small for me. Thanks to Lisa with the Dalles Chamber of Commerce who drove me around The Dalles looking for my bike. I would also like to give a big shout out to Chris Knott with Cycle Oregon for his support through this stressful time.

In short, I while waiting for my connection in Los Vegas in route from Houston to Portland, I ask Sprit to confirm that my bike had made the transfer. That is when I found out that it had not and all three of my luggage claim tickets had the SAME number (you would expect a unique number for each bag, but it was not). So, this was about 4 PM on Friday, Sept 5.

I spent a good portion of Saturday trying to get in touch with Sprit with poor results. Let’s just say you get what you pay for with a discount airline. I finally boarded my bus to The Dalles at noon. Spirit finally located my bike late on Saturday and put it on the flight from Los Vegas to Portland (via Los Angeles apparently). My agreement with a very helpful person in Portland was to get it to me Saturday night or send it back to Houston, I would ride the rental. I expected my bike in The Dalles around 9:30 or 10 PM.

Lisa drove me into The Dalles late Saturday evening looking for my bike and was willing wait with me. We finally gave up and she drove me back up the hill to get some sleep. The delivery company never returned any of my calls.

All night I was very rude to my tent neighbors. I was on the phone, leaving messages and texting folks trying to find out where my bike was. Finally at 2 AM the driver called to say he was 25 minutes out of The Dalles. I tried to tell him that I needed him to drive it up the hill to Sorosis Park, but he would not listen to me. His clutch had gone out and he was coasting into The Dalles and where his truck stopped was where I would have to meet him.

He called me at about 2:30 telling me his truck was DOA and to come and meet him at the Budget Inn. I again told him that I was 1.6 miles away with no way to get down there. I was not walking into town and walking back dragging my bike and case up hill at 3 in the morning.

I then got the idea to try to get a taxi to pick up the bike and bring it up to the park. Unfortunately, the taxi never came.

Finally, the delivery driver’s ride home showed up in a minivan and was able to drive my bike up to the park. So, at 4 AM, my bike finally arrived. From 4 to 4:30 I assembled it under a street light, went back to my tent a little sleep and started the ride at 6:45 AM. Sunday was hard with very little sleep, but I made it.

Again, I would like to thank all the folks that did whatever they could to make sure I had a great experience. Thank you Ryan with Bike Gallery, Paul, Lisa and Chris, but there were many many others.

Cycle Oregon is great, I really enjoyed it. I also need to give a shout out to Ed from Bend. We hung out for most of the ride and I look forward to seeing him soon.

If you are curious who I was, I was the guy with the license plate that sad “Howdy from Houston: What are mountains?” Hope to see y’all soon. :-)

Also, Spirit did apologize and give me a $25 dollar credit for my next flight booked within 90 days. Like that covers all the stress, lost sleep and frustration.
pp186515

Return to 2014 Week Ride – September 6-13