Cookies

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Cookies

Postby Jackson » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Odd subject but it comes with a story.

I've been doing this ride long enough that I can no longer tell what year the event is or where last years ride was. This story comes from a few years back.

Our sag was slated to be the the last in the rotation for that particular day. We were doing a running count (tracking the riders to assist with ambulance staging) and sitting just outside the lunch stop. The stop had closed and the refrigerated truck with the remaining lunches had left to be restocked for the next day.

As with most days, me and my radio operator had picked up our lunches earlier (never knowing when exactly we will have a chance to eat) and I was doing a count inside the Lunch stop when I came across 2 riders who were not very happy. They had arrived after the lunch truck had left. (times printed in the rider handbook). There were snacks but no lunches left (we estimate the number needed and are not always correct). To top it off, the restroom team was fairly new (same company, new recruits). The one at this stop was in the process of cleaning before loading and had told the riders that they could not be used. Not acceptable on Cycle Oregon. A quick communication opened up the last few in the cleaning rotation to allow use.

My lunch and any snacks I had on board were used to make the remaining lunches for these 2 riders. This year, my wife had packed a container of homemade chocolate chip cookies. A few were given to both riders to help leave a positive spin on a negative situation.

Since then, I make my own cookies. Have been for several years. I don't eat them myself as they were not made for me but for that occasional rider or riders having a bad day or in the need of a smile.

If this turns out to be you on the ride, look me up. I made a double batch.

John

Sag 1
Jackson

Re: Cookies

Postby mytrot » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:45 pm

Jackson
You are one of many gems on CO!!
mytrot

Postby jsaddoris » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:30 pm

This is special. Thanks for making someone's day and thinking of others.
jsaddoris

Postby leisure1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Mr. Jackson! THANK-YOU – and all of the CO volunteers - so much for coming back every year and putting up with us. Cycle Oregon seems to run almost flawlessly – even when it has to reverse course for a fire. But we know better. Whole campsites that leapfrog to set up a day in advance of our arrival, all the signage that goes up – and then comes back down (Mamas don’t let your babies grow up to be Cowboy…), The Ham radio people and Rox in particular, and the people on the course that monitor intersections and can’t go to bed until all the riders are off the course.

I have been doing the ride for many years – but if you quit I might have to also.

Thanks again
leisure1

Postby Jackson » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:48 am

Still had cookies remaining at the end of the week. Looks like most had a great ride and were not in need of a pick me up treat.
Jackson

Postby BasamOme » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:24 am

Thanks for making someone's day and thinking of others.
เกมส์รูเล็ต
BasamOme

Return to 2015 Week Ride - September 12-19