Logistical Question from the Nube

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Logistical Question from the Nube

Postby AustinCyclist » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:32 am

Any suggestions for a duffel bag or some such that works best for CO? Hard to imagine fitting everything one needs for a week of riding & travel to/from in one bag! Perhaps, one with wheels. 8)

Thinking thru logistics, the CO weight limit is 65 lbs, but airlines baggage limit is usually 50 lbs. For those of us both 1st time CO'ers & out of stater's, what's worked for you guys in the past?

Thanks!
AustinCyclist

Re: Logistical Question from the Nube

Postby ClayL » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:10 pm

Sports authority has many choices in duffle bags, that where I got mine. Seems like whatever size bag you have it will be full.
ClayL

Postby mytrot » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:20 pm

Austin
The REI XXX L basic duffle works well and will hold all you need for cycling. Lots of folks like wheels. Never had them myself and most do not.

As for travel gear no help there as I drive and we all leave a bag in the vehicle with stuff from the road trip and stuff for the return day.

Might try tracking down someone that would let you stash a bag of stuff for the week with stuff you don't need on the ride.

ET

http://www.rei.com/product/870772/rei-r ... -xxx-large
mytrot

Postby dunshay04 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:53 am

Here's a picture of two different bags. Mine is the yellow bag -- it is a North Face. It is water proof which is important because you never know when it is going to rain and/or snow (both happen). When the bags are unloaded from the semi trailers at the end of each day, your bag might sit out in the elements for a few hours before you pick it up. I hire the local kids to haul my bag for me for a few bucks (fundraiser for the different groups) so my bag does not have wheels. Both bags were purchased at REI and are the largest we could find.
Attachments
co bags.jpg
dunshay04

Postby dunshay04 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:57 am

Everything I needed for a week fit into that North Face Bag -- tent, thermarest, sleeping bag, a little chair, clothes, bathroom stuff, etc. Notice the two little lights on the rain fly of the tent. Those were my beacons so I could always find my way back to my tent. In a sea of tents -- that can be difficult. I received "thanks" from my fellow campers -- they liked the beacons too.
Attachments
co tent.jpg
co tent.jpg (44.65 KiB) Viewed 4621 times
dunshay04

Postby Sam » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:51 pm

I always leave dirty clothes from the trip into town and a set of clean clothes for the trip home in my bike box along with a backpack I carry on the plane in my bike box. It will be waiting for you at the finish and gives you some spare room during the week.
Sam

Postby wayneh » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:26 am

I can personally vouch for the North Face bag. Waterproof and rugged. Everything I need for the week fits nicely. Mine is white so I can usually pick it out quite quickly in a sea of duffels.
wayneh

Postby gfparsons » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:15 pm

I got a massive duffel from Andy and Bax on Grand Avenue. They have a wide assortment of affordable duffles in all sizes. Mine has been through 2 Cycle Oregons. It was cheap ($20 range) but got it done.
gfparsons

Postby EZPZ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:42 am

If you want a wheeled bag, try looking at hockey goalie bags. I got one on ebay. Mine is a bauer. Look for ones that have more than two wheels. The downside is that they are made to hold stuff that is damp from playing ice hockey. They tend to have a lot of venting that could let moisture from rain into the bag easily fixed with a bit uf duct tape.
EZPZ

Postby Jackson » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:16 pm

For a couple of dollars each day, the local football team or student group will move your bag (both ways) to and from the luggage truck. Wheels take up space and add weight. Both are a premium.
Jackson

Postby slobko » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:34 pm

Nube,

You ask two questions. I. Can I get everything in a bag that the airline will check w/o $75 charge?
2. How can I possible get everything in such a small bag.

The second one is easy. I use a bag that checks easily and have never had an issue with the airlines. If you feel that you need a huge bag, use a huge duffel that is only partiallly filled (so no charge from airlines) and another bag that does not go along on CO (see the comments about checking the bag with CO for the last tday.

The first one is pretty easy, but different strokes for different folks.

a) Most people seem to use a huge duffel. To big to check w/o charge, I'd think. They take everything
except the kitchen sink I'd assume.

b) I've had no problem with a smaller wheeled bag. The bag is easily as big at the duffels in length
but thinner at one end. Checks no problem.

HOW DO I GET EVERYTHING IN?

Well first, it doesn't seem to be that big a problem, though my bag is tightly filled. Here are the problems and solutions.

1) Wheels. Most people do not have them. I have a bad back (like everyone my age) and so I MUST have wheels. There are wheeled duffels. If you need 'em, get 'em.

2) Space. Yes, it is tight with my bag, but I've always made it. Here are some hints.

a) There are laundry facilities every day. So I take 4 each of sox, cycling shorts and jerseys, and underwear (yeah, I wear 'em). Buy a large heavy Zip lock bag for each. put sox in it's bag, zip almost all the way and then sit on it. Then finish the zip. Repeat. You'll be surprised how little space each bag will take. Once on the trip, do your laundry.

You MUST take a little bag to hold your small stuff. Really. You think it's fun looking for your headlam in the dark? When you really have to find the loo? Where's my cell phone? My toothbrush?

b) You must also take:

i) A sleeping bag. I recommend down. takes very little space when squashed into it's bag.
ii) Tent. comes with a bag, About 4 inches in diameter by 32 in long. Not too bad.
ii) sleeping pad. One that blows up by your mouth. takes less space in the bag.
iv) A battery powered headlamp. A MUST. It is DARK at night in the boonies. takes no space.
v) cycling clothes, see above.
vi) Most people take one pair of pants (light weight so they take no space) and a camp shirt
and a pair of camp shoes. I take a squashable hat. It will be cold on some nights.
vii) Finally, you're going to need stuff for daily needs. Toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. I just put
'em in my small bag.
vIII) don't forget a charger cord for your iPhone. There's a place that does charging for a
reasonable cost (and it's a bicycle charity).
iX) I also take a lightweight fleece pull over and pants AND a waterproof thin jacket and cycling
pants. It is unlikely to be that cold, but.....one year it snowed. I was there.

Finally, when you've got a bag, try packing it. I've always gotten it all in my bag and I don't have one of the monster duffels you see on the CO site.

cheers,

tas
cheers,

tas
slobko

Postby riding2live » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:42 pm

For the Nube,
Blow up air mattress vs a Luxury Lite cot. If you have the funds, invest in a cot. Your body will thank you.

Also, no matter what bag you invest in be sure to tie a distinguishing bright colored neckerchief to the handles on both ends. Because when ALL those bags get stacked together you'll find that there are a lot of them that will look JUST LIKE yours.

Yes, take a bunch of $1 billes along. Definitely worth it to have the local "sherpas" tote your bag.

If you are going to ship your bike to the site you can stow some gear in the bike box and not have to carry it on your flight.

Above all, have a good time. Hit the beer garden.
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby Entiat » Wed May 06, 2015 12:45 pm

One more vote for the North Face bag. Either a Base Camp (large...XL gets kindof silly) or Rolling Thunder (if you need wheels). The downside to wheels is they are more likely to break off - your bag will frequently be under thousands of pounds of other bags in the semi truck. Also, the wheeled NF bag is pretty darned expensive.

You can either spend the $$ to go waterproof (Northface) or you can pack everything in garbage and large ziplock garment bags inside a non-waterproof bag (XL cloth duffel from REI). When I'm not doing the RV thing I actually do both (NF + pack in xxxl ziplocks), just to be safe. We have been extremely lucky with the weather the past couple years...things are not always as dry as they have been recently.

Yes, you can fit everything you need. For your first (and probably second) year, plan on re-packing a few times before you leave home. Allocate a couple hours per (re)pack attempt. You won't need as many street clothes as you think you need. You don't need as many gadgets. You don't need as many repair tools as you think (the Bike Gallery does repairs). You don't need as many spare tubes. You don't need a large jug of laundry detergent or soap (the showers have soap).

Bring multi-purpose clothes (e.g. jackets with zip-off arms, leg warmers instead of separate full-length cycling pants, etc.). Get a packable towel (e.g. REI microfiber) rather than cotton. Get a small camping pad. LuxuryLite cots or Big Agnes insulated core inflatable are both good options.

Don't pack your helmet, shoes and water bottles in your duffel - when your bag is being transported via semi during the day, those things are with you on your bike. Transport them to/from CO in a separate small bag.

As someone mentioned, leaving a clean change of street clothes and towel at the start/finish line is a fantastic idea. If you don't have a car, roam around the RV campers on night 0, offer a bottle of wine (we like good Oregon Pinot Noirs and have a 30' beat-up old Gulfstream - hint, hint) and someone will transport your finish line bag for you. RV folks are all about making new friends and drinking lots of wine :-)
Entiat

Postby bogiesan » Sun May 17, 2015 8:31 pm

You can find many different lists of gear for week-long tours. Lay out your gear and then ask yourself what you can leave behind. You want to be warm, comfortable, and dry. Anything more than that is luxurious. But CO is a luxury ride! You can be indulgent. But you don't need to be selfish.

In Idaho, down is queen for sleeping bags but I take synthetics oN CO because: mountains and September.
Expect to do laundry and it's not easy, it's a skill. Bring clothesline and clothespins.
Don't bring anything you cannot afford to lose or have broken.
Your electronics are a hassle. Minimize.. Bring a real book and write postcards.
You only enough meds and pills and toiletries to last a week. Think Small bottles.

Don't freak.
RTFM
bogiesan

Postby bogiesan » Mon May 18, 2015 5:19 am

You can protect almost anything in the REI XXXL duffle simply by cramming your stuff into large trash bags. I carry a dozen of those white bags from Costco.
RTFM
bogiesan

Next

Return to 2015 Week Ride - September 12-19