Logistical Question from the Nube

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Logistical Question from the Nube

Postby AustinCyclist » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:18 am

wow, thanks for all the info, tips & recommendations. Ended up going with the REI Bag when it was on sale.

REI North Face Base Camp Duffel.

Seems like a great, durable bag. XL should be big enough to hold a week's worth of cycling & living gear.

Cheers,
AustinCyclist

Postby funtimes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:09 pm

Wheeled bags just make the duffel heavier. My two cents.
I LOVE my Patagonia duffel, it is water repellent. Also, I like to pack my clothes in large zip locks. I have seen duffels sitting in very wet places before, but not on CO in September.
funtimes

Postby lars » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:25 am

You are trying to fit within two limits: weight of the bag on the airline (50 lbs?) and the CO 65 lbs weight limit. I assume you are also shipping a bike, probably in your personal bike box. Either put extra weight in the bike box if it will fit to meet the airline limit or ship an extra bag on the airline or take it as carry on. Store the extra bag in your bike box for the week.
lars

Postby kwolford » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Ziplock makes giant bags that are see through. So much easier to find your gear in your duffel if they are organized in these:
http://www.target.com/p/ziploc-big-bags ... oCQfPw_wcB
kwolford

Postby jsaddoris » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:00 pm

I rode last year for the first time and I bought a water 'resistant' duffle bag from Lands End or LLBean, size XL I believe. No bag is water proof, if it is, it weighs a ton. I managed to keep my bag/belongings under the 50 pound limit for flying and still managed to have things I didn't wear or need during the ride. I did keep my street shoes and a few other items not needed on the ride stored at the hotel for when I returned, but it was minimal. Leaving it in your bike box is a great idea too.

I sorted and packed everything for the ride into dry sacks and those large zip-lock bags other folks keep mentioning. It worked out well and would keep stuff dry that needed to be if it happened to rain. This year, I will bring a few less bike shorts and jerseys. I won't bring any snacks, protein drink or the like. CO has more than enough food and beverage so don't bring the extra weight.

One thing I brought that really helped in the morning was a plastic trash bag to toss my tent/fly/ground cloth into. Most mornings it was chilly and the tent was wet from condensation so this was easier to deal with. I did bring a plastic tent stake hammer that was shared among our small group. That was handy. Not sure I will bring that little chair this time either. Never really used it. Still up for debate.

Looking forward to this years ride with even less weight to carry around!
jsaddoris

Postby bogiesan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:12 am

If you're still looking for huge bags, Cabela's has their XL canvas duffle on sale for half price, $50 instead of $100.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Heavy-Canvas-Duffel-Bag/1933625.uts

The REI XXXL duffle many of us use has a capacity of about 11,400 cu inches.

http://www.rei.com/product/870772/rei-roadtripper-duffel-xxx-large

The Cabela unit is 13,000 cu inches so you could pack an extra layer (because in 2003 it was <30F in Cambridge ID).

However, this big heavy bag is assembled of cotton canvas not a synthetic. You may want to carry several yard-size plastic garbage bags to help protect your gear in the unlikely event our baggage sits in rain.
RTFM
bogiesan

Previous

Return to 2015 Week Ride - September 12-19