When to Ship Bike?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

When to Ship Bike?

Postby AustinCyclist » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:15 pm

Hey,

How far in advance do you guys typically ship your bike to CO? Or asked another way, what's the rough time range you typically target getting it there? I assume you probably want to get it there a week or so before day #1 riding day to avoid any shipping delays / foul ups, but have no idea.

Thanks in advance!

-John
Austin Cyclist
AustinCyclist

Re: When to Ship Bike?

Postby JohnB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:58 pm

Last edited by JohnB on Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnB

Postby funtimes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:04 pm

I always send my bike 8-9 business days in advance, because they say 7-10. Try to send it on a Monday or Tuesday morning, so it has most of that week to make good progress. Follow the tracking.
I send it to a bike shop and have them assemble it for me. I don't know if there is a bike shop in our start city this year so I guess you can ship it to the company CO recommends. (Bike Gallery?)
I ship my CO2 cartridges in that box too when I fly in, because you cannot fly with them. Or I make sure to buy them from the shop assembling my bike.
I drive to CO so I don't know all the details, but I think the CO manual deals with this thoroughly.
funtimes

Postby rambobikeman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:12 am

Best bet is to ship through High Country Shipping as they will deliver the bike to the start in Baker City this year (and store your box/case during the ride).

The Bike Gallery will have a crew of mechanics in Baker City available to reassemble your bike (for a nominal fee; I think it's listed in the CO Handbook).

Please don't ship your bike directly to the Bike Gallery as we won't have room to safely haul your bike from Portland to Baker City.

All of us on the BG Crew are looking forward to seeing you all in September!
rambobikeman

Postby AustinCyclist » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks for the info. I get there are various shipping times, depending on where you ship from. However, I'm actually asking when do you target having your bike Arrive at Camp? Surely at least a few days before start of the riding days. But not more than a week I assume? Can't imagine being w/o my bike 2 weeks or more! yikes
AustinCyclist

Postby asjrb » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:17 pm

I try to get my bike delivered 4 -5 business days before the ride (that would be the Monday or Tuesday prior to the start). Then check with UPS/High Country that your bike actually has arrived. That would leave UPS some time to do a trace if your bike gets lost (it does happen).

You only have one bike?
asjrb

Postby texclydes » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi John - I am in Austin, and am shipping my bike on Sept. 2 and using High Country. See you up there!
texclydes

Return to 2015 Week Ride - September 12-19