Riding Portland-Baker City by bike - tips from locals?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Riding Portland-Baker City by bike - tips from locals?

Postby manuel » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi there,

I'm going to extend my Cycle Oregon a little, which means that I will start in Portland and ride to the CO by bike.
The route for the trip is planned pretty much already. Maybe someone can help me to decide whether to ride on the northern or southern bank of the Columbia from The Dalles eastwards.
I normally would try to avoid Interstates and choose the Highway along the northern bank, but according to what I see in Google Earth, I'm a little concerned if there are enough grocery stores or gas stations with shops along the Lewis and Clarke Highway. Due to very limited space in my bike bags, I can only bring 2 to 3 bike bottles of beverages in total, this means on a hot day I need to buy beverages on the tour.
Another question - is it allowed to pass the Umatilla bridges from WA to OR by bike?

best regards,
Manuel
manuel

Re: Riding Portland-Baker City by bike - tips from locals?

Postby Jackson » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:26 pm

I'd recommend reaching out to 2 riders specifically to help answer this question.

http://pathlesspedaled.com/contact
Jackson

Postby Excellentadventures » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:36 am

:idea: You might want to check out the Lewis and Clark route that Adventure Cycling has mapped. I believe that a portion of that ride is on the north side of the river. You could also look for journals on the Crazy guy on a bike site and see what others have said about that stretch of road.

Just some thoughts, hope that helps.
Excellentadventures

Postby dougnlis » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:19 pm

You are looking at an eighty mile stretch from the store where US 97 crosses SR 14 to the next crossing heading to Hermiston. Services are limited, but there are some stores and gas stations along the way, such as at Roosevelt which was evacuated this week due to wildfire (thirst is not the only issue on this route!). You usually have good winds at your back at this time of year to speed you on your way.
Steel is Real
dougnlis

Postby jsaddoris » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:09 pm

I think that is awesome that you are riding to the start of the ride. My friend just rode from Alaska to Banff to ride the Tour Divide. She broke the women's record and came in 7th overall, even with bronchitis.

Is it possible to take a water filter or steri-pen to treat drinking water along the way? Just an idea...steri-pen would be lightest option that is quick at treating water.

Kudos to you for extending your bike trip. :D 8)
jsaddoris

Postby MaryB » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:57 am

Just rode this route. There are enough services on Rte 14 including several wineries that welcome cyclist to use their restrooms and water source.
There is a bike path on the bridge across the river at Umatilla. Here are directions for getting there: 4.8 miles east of SR221 take a right onto Christy Road. Continue straight on this for 7.4 miles (changes name to Olive St) Take R on Plymouth Rd for 1 mile - enter tunnel - exit tunnel turn Left to go up ramp that will take you onto bridge bike path.
MaryB

Postby manuel » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks for all your help to plan my trip along the Columbia River.
I'll ride on the SR14, thanks to your experiences. See you in Baker City? :)
manuel

Postby dougnlis » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:19 pm

So, have you scheduled time in the beer tent to relate how this final "training ride" went? With high temps forecast for Friday into Saturday, you should not have to pay for a pint as long as you are willing to tell this tale.
Steel is Real
dougnlis

Return to 2015 Week Ride - September 12-19