Cornet - Windy Ridge Fire, Other Fires

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Cornet - Windy Ridge Fire, Other Fires

Postby gfparsons » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:56 am

I've been following the fire battles on the NWCC website http://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/information/firemap.aspx

The Cornet-Windy Ridge Fire looks to have the most potential impact on Cycle Oregon at this point, although a lot will change in a few weeks. The main issue that occurs are road closures for firefighting equipment. Are there any contingency plans as yet? Hopefully we get some rain before CO.

George Parsons
gfparsons

Re: Cornet - Windy Ridge Fire, Other Fires

Postby mytrot » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:12 pm

This is a tough one. Not many paved options between Baker City and Farewell Bend!
mytrot

Postby Leedo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:07 am

We drove down I-84 yesterday going from Utah to Seattle and the wildfire smoke was unbearable! Thank goodness for micron-filters on car A/C systems. We were in smoke from Utah all the way into SE Washington. The fires burning in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho have made the air quality quite bad for hundreds, perhaps thousands, of miles around.

I am very concerned about this. As someone who is highly susceptible to bronchitis and sinus infections I may bail on the ride for this reason alone.
Image - Leedo

A.K.A. Supergrover
My Blog: normalguytri.com
Twitter: @normalguytri
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedo
Leedo

Postby lars » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:46 am

Depending on our route from Elgin to Summerville the Phillips Creek fire could also have impact on day six.

As the original poster said, a lot can and will change in three weeks. I've hesitated starting a wildfires post because of the general panic it can create and the unpredictable nature of wildfires. CO has been impacted in the past but is rather adept at finding alternatives.
lars

Postby Cyclops » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:09 pm

What a difference a week makes in air quality . . . with help from the cooler weather and hard work by thousands of fire fighters on the ground. Just remember that if we end up short on shower trucks or other services, it's probably due to equipment and support needed for those folks still camped out in the field making sure these fires are contained.
Attachments
What a difference a week makes.jpg
Cyclops

Return to 2015 Week Ride - September 12-19