... but is it a dry heat?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

... but is it a dry heat?

Postby joec » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:51 am

Looks like the beautiful state of Oregon will be serving up weather befitting our tour next week. Didn't see any moisture in the long range forecast. I missed Hells Canyon last time, anyone have insight to the humidity we're likely to get in this part of the state?

8)
joec

Re: ... but is it a dry heat?

Postby Entiat » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:35 am

Long-range forecasts are full of it. Don't believe them. For example, the official National Weather Service forecast discussion for our ride locale states, "Models
keep changing from a ridge to a trough and also differ on how to
handle moisture trapped under the ridge."

So they basically have no clue what the future weather holds beyond about 3 days.

Having said that, climatology speaking it will be dry (low humidity) and warm-to-hot an hour or so after sunrise until sunset. Chilly-to-cold mornings and there will be condensation on your tent many nights. If you are an early riser you will be packing a your tent wet and drying it out in the afternoon sun when you arrive in camp.

But we could get rain, snow, thunderstorms...or clear, blue, dry 90F days the entire week.
Entiat

Postby Cyclops » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:21 pm

If it's hot, the humidity will be low, i.e. not muggy. Humidity at this time of year and in this part of Oregon/Idaho comes in the form of rain, sleet or snow at temperatures not normally described as hot.
Cyclops

Postby dougnlis » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:41 pm

If you are an early riser you will be packing a your tent wet and drying it out in the afternoon sun when you arrive in camp.

Obscure tip: heavy duty rubber gloves make packing away a cold, wet tent much more bearable. Otherwise, an additional pair of poly pro glove liners that will be soaked doing the job in the morning and another pair to wear the rest of your time in camp and for the first miles on the road under your bike gloves will be welcome.
Steel is Real
dougnlis

Postby joec » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:22 pm

Entiat wrote:...Long-range forecasts are full of it. Don't believe them...

But we could get rain, snow, thunderstorms...or clear, blue, dry 90F days the entire week.

What a difference a few days make! ...could be an interesting second half of the week...I always like the weather caveats for OR, makes packing for this week fun. Fortunately no "Sharknados" at this time of year. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tips, good luck with last minute details, see y'all soon..
joec

Postby jsaddoris » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Regarding the 'wet tent' issue. I carry a black trash bag and stuff my tent into that each morning rather than trying to carefully roll it back into the stuff sack. Keeps everything else dry and it is much easier to manage when cold, etc.
jsaddoris

Postby Entiat » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:39 pm

joec wrote:
What a difference a few days make! ...could be an interesting second half of the week...

No kidding. Pack your rain gear. As I said, weather forecasts more than three days out are wrong...but enough of the computer models are showing precip that I'll be bringing full rain gear, SKS race blades and so on.

It could very well be that our our recent run of rain-free Cycle Oregons are over.
Entiat

Return to 2015 Week Ride - September 12-19