That was the week that was...

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

That was the week that was...

Postby lars » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:04 pm

It may not have been the week we all envisioned a week ago but the fire started as we were arriving in Baker City and exploded over night.

Kudos to Cycle Oregon for reacting quickly to keep us from being in the way of the fire suppression efforts and also keeping us safe. Also Thank You to the communities of Cambridge, Baker City and the various Rest Stops, Lunch stops and water stops for welcoming us as we back tracked where there were really no options but to return the way we came. And the volunteers who all thought they had seen the last of us came back a day or two later.

Once we were back at Baker City Cycle Oregon had some room to maneuver and put together yesterdays ride through Catherine Creek, Union and Cove to La Grande. A day that many commented was the best Cycle Oregon route ever although I find looping the rim of Crater Lake hard to beat.

Thank you for another great week.
lars

Re: That was the week that was...

Postby wayneh » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:07 am

Could not agree more. Well said. It ended up being a terrific week. I actually enjoyed the 50ish mile days quite a lot. I no longer need a century day to feel like I rode a worthwhile route. And riding the scenic bikeway Friday and Saturday was as good as it gets. Kudos to staff, volunteers, communities and all. I also thought the musical lineup this year was as good as it has ever been. A great week well spent.
wayneh

Postby davek » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:43 am

What they said. Outstanding week and hats off to all the Cycle OR staff and volunteers for making it all happen as smoothly as it did. One of the better COs! I also found the 50 miles days agreeable and after 19 COs don't think I need back to back centuries to make it feel like I got my money's worth.
DK
davek

Postby capthawk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:11 am

I too agree shorter routes are nice. It really spreads everyone out in the mornings. More time to relax at rest and lunch stops. And there are no long late afternoon shower lines either.
It's always sunny at 35,000 ft
capthawk

Postby Entiat » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:02 am

It was nice and all, and I too kindof liked the easy-going, flat, 50-ish mile days and no real mountain day at all as a change of pace for my 10th Cycle Oregon.

Having said that...I look forward to a little more climbing and a few more miles next year. We don't have to go all 2014 crazy (I kept thinking each day was as epic as it could possibly get, but nooooo!), but a nice compromise year with the standard two true mountain days would be good.

And then we have the 30th anniversary in two years...I'm not sure how you could possibly combine the traditional every-5-year circle of Crater Lake with a triumphant return to Halfway, but maybe they will get creative :-)

See y'all in 2016, wherever we go!
Entiat

Return to 2015 Week Ride - September 12-19