Debating on Attending

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Debating on Attending

Postby mfirth » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:28 am

Hello All,

I am moving to Eugene, Oregon in August and came across Cycle Oregon and the week long race randomly, but instantly became very interested in it. I just had a few questions/looking for advice and hoped you could help.

First off, anyone know when the registration ends, or if it is close to being full? I noticed in past years it has filled up so I was surprised to see it was still open at this point.

I am 26, and while very comfortable with being around and hanging out with people older than me, I was interested in the average age of those riding?

I haven't been riding too much this year so I am a bit worried about getting in shape for the race. I don't have a ton of cycling experience besides training for the ironman I did a few years back (cyling is my worst part of the 3). If I started training a decent amount soon I should be ok in just under 3 months, right? I guess just looking for recommendations and past experiences with training for the week long ride.

In the mornings is it like a mass start or more of a 'get on the road when you want' type of deal? I guess if you want to get done earlier and relax at that days end point you could leave early, but is there a need to rush things?

I guess that is all I have for now. I am on the fence right now, but maybe a few of you can convince me to jump all the way over.
mfirth

Re: Debating on Attending

Postby tedder42 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Not a race. Not even fondo style.

I don't know how full it is. It typically sells out.

You should be comfortable riding 60 miles on back-to-back days, and should have at least done a few rides with climbs over 4000 feet.

Some of us are young.

Eugene? Ride the Blackberry bRamble. It's a nice ride.
tedder42

Postby mytrot » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:39 pm

Don't recall when they close registration but it does close even if it does not fill up so don't wait too long. It did not sell out last year and I suspect it may not this year.

There is time to train. A lot depends on how fast you want to ride. I have had two back surgeries since CO last year and haven't ridden since then. Last one was 4 weeks ago. I hope to start training in about 2 weeks and still hope to be there. Just a lot slower than my previous years. And I'm twice your age!

Speaking of age, you won't be alone but the average age runs around 50. But really cool old people!!

People start from still dark to 9 or 10. Many stop in town for coffee or breakfast. Gear has to be on the trucks by 9ish. There is certainly a big group from 630 to 730. Never started later than that in 7 years. But it usually spreads out after the first 10 to 20 miles based on our start times. Longer or hotter days, more early starters. Definitely no need to rush other than to meet course times which are pretty flexible. Course is open til 630PM so even on long days there is a lot of time to ride. Longest day I've done on CO is 106.

Also pay attention to the routes and the associate driving routes. You can end up at camp way ahead of your gear so better to stop at the last watering hole on the route and wait there!

To reinforce tedder. Not a race at all but people do ride fast. And some very slow!

Blackberry Bramble is a great ride with beautiful scenery as long as they get the finish marked well!

Hope to see you on the road!

ET
mytrot

Postby Jackson » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:49 am

Average age varies every year but will be in the mid to late 50's. Riders are a wide range from 10-75. At last check there were 2200 riders signed up. A little low to close registration but the ideal target to ride the ride. Schedules change for riders and they will drop out prior to the cut off date, which is why the registration is still open. Once the ideal number is reached, registration will close and a waiting list will be started. Official cut off will be mid August.

Key to preparing is being able to ride back to back days. The ride is not a race. Stops open along the course at timed internals. Course opens at 6:30 AM and closes at 6:30 PM. Course closures can happen sooner if riders make better time or on shorter days. Last day course closes by 4. Stops are roughly 15 miles apart. 2 Rest Stops (snacks, water, mechanic, rest rooms), 1-3 water stops (water and rest rooms only) and Lunch along the route.

Breakfast opens by 5:30 and you can head out anytime after 6:30. Baggage trucks leave at 9 AM.
Jackson

Postby Jackson » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:55 am

Most of the details for the ride are listed in the week ride links. Questions can be answered by scrolling through past ride forums to find your topic. If not found there, feel free to ask here.
Jackson

Postby joec2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:42 pm

Age is just a number. You will see that there are all body types and ages on this ride.

As others have said this is not a race but there is an expectation that you keep a certain pace on the ride maintaining a "reasonable distance". While the course remains open until 6:30p the pacing tracks the second to the last rider of the pack.

"...A “reasonable distance” is defined as roughly five (5) miles / or 30 minutes... behind the next to last rider..."

You can be out until course closure/6:30p but there may be ramifications:

http://cycleoregon.com/policy-updates/

In past years, when training time was short, I augmented hill climbing with weight training the climbing muscles and was able to get through. Since you are a tri-athlete, your base should be pretty good. Back to back training days are essential, don't do big miles initially, but work up to the longer weekend ride duration. The important thing is to properly season your sit muscles for multiple days in the saddle. This way you have time to make saddle changes at home before you get out there. Can you get 2x the minimum course mileage in before ride week (approx 9 weeks out)?

DO IT...! If you wait 'til next year...you'll just be one year older. 8)
joec2

Postby mfirth » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks to everyone that replied to my OP. I just registered for the ride 3 minutes ago!

I am thrilled to be part of something I expect will be very awesome. Training has already started (my bum can attest) so here goes nothing. If you have been to Iowa/Illinois you know it is pretty darn flat out here so I am going to have to get creative with my hill/elevation training. I was thinking of just doing hill repeats once a week or so until we move to Oregon ( I live right on the Mississippi River so we have some steep hills that go to the river valley).
Joec2 - and special exercises you recommend to help with the climbing muscles?

I do have a question about parking/buses. I will be living in Eugene at the time so will be 1.5 hours from Myrtle creek. I planned on driving and leaving my car there. I am guessing that at the end of the ride there will be buses to take everyone back t Myrtle Creek that parked in the long term parking? Am I correct in assuming this? I could not find that information anywhere.

Other than that, see you all in a couple months!
mfirth

Postby ClayL » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:10 am

The ride is a loop, day 7 brings you back to the start and your car will be waiting for you there. Don't forget to buy a parking pass.
ClayL

Postby joec2 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:15 am

Awesome!!! Glad you made it. Oregon is wonderful at the time of ride week. Coming from the Midwest, you will have your mind blown. I really enjoyed Bandon the last time we were through there.

I would suggest doing the opposite: Concentrate on hill work and flesh out the rest of your training on flats for endurance. Do not under-estimate the climbing you will do. You can fake it til you make it on the flats but if you haven't trained for hills you may have challenge. (Everyone has their own recipe for getting ready...I'm just sharing what has worked for me).

Stairs: find a set that will give you enough challenge, but not wear you out. As you climb concentrate on the "push" off up to the next step. This will work your quads.

Toe raises: From standing, raise up on your toes. This will work your calves.

Situps/planks: Good for core strengthening.

Weights/resistance bands: One is a standing leg back kick where your ankle is weighted, not too heavy because you want reps. The movement is to move your leg from slightly knee bent, in a kicking motion backward to full extension against the resistance. This works your glutes and hamstrings. Don't actually kick but make the motion...this is not like a martial arts kick.

Leg curls: lying on your stomach, bend your legs to towards your butt to pull against the resistance. This works calves, hams, and glutes.

The opposite of above: from a seated position, make a front kick motion to full extension against the resistance. This will will work calves and quads.

Leg press/squats. Watch the weight and depth of the squat...don't blow your knees out.

Use easy resistance/weights to give you callenge through your reps...10x whatever to get you to a good pump but not kill you. Take care with your knees now, you will need them healthy during ride week. Check the 'Net for videos of proper technique.

Get your bike checked out at a LBS. If your ride is specific to tri events the angles may not be comfortable for the week tour. Tell them what you're doing, they may do a fitting to adjust where they can for better comfort. It may not take $$$ to get you dialed in, don't try to do this in September before the tour. Bike Gallery is great but you need time to adjust to the changes.

Get yourself a massage on the layover day...you'll be glad you did.

If you have a physical or mechanical issue on the route, SAG1 and the Sweep team will be your friends.

CO is many rides within a ride. You'll meet your pacing partners in a couple of days. Find your ride and HAVE FUN!!! This is a ride NOT a race.

Good luck with the move...
joec2

Postby mfirth » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:55 pm

ClayL wrote:The ride is a loop, day 7 brings you back to the start and your car will be waiting for you there. Don't forget to buy a parking pass.

Ah, that makes a whole lot of sense.. 8)

And thanks Joe for all the recommendations. My girlfriend and I visited Southern Oregon and drove down the coast last summer. We made a stop in Bandon for the day thanks to a local that recommended it. We caught 2 crabs and had them cooked for us and met some awesome people, excited to go back.

A trip to the LBS will be happening next week as I have never actually been fitted to my trusty Fuji road bike. And I am going to look into some different tires for a bit more comfort during the ride.
mfirth

Postby joec2 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:21 am

Hey there...

You'll gain a different perspective touring Oregon by bike. You have a good attitude, ride week will be here before you know it.

What width tires are you riding on now?...a fresh set of rubber will definitely add some liveliness to your trip. I used to ride 23mm but found them harsh after a day on chip seal...I found 25mm gave a good compromise between low rolling resistance and comfort.

Does your Fuji have a double or triple ring up front?

Do you ride with a cycle computer and/or heart rate monitor? Another good piece of equipment to get if you don't already.

I hope you have a great first CO...
joec2

Postby wayneh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:01 pm

Regarding tire widths,

Actually, a 25mm tire has lower rolling resistance than a 23mm, which, due to its smaller contact area, has more pressure within that area than a slightly wider tire. I switched over to 25mm minimum for everything I ride, and quite often will go to a 28mm for Cycle Oregon for even greater road comfort. I've had excellent results with Continental Gatorskins, Scwalbe Durano and Durano Plus, and Vittoria Rubino Pro. This year I'm thinking of riding the new Vittoria Rubino Pro G+ with Graphene, a new compound that decreases rolling resistance even further.

If that helps at all.
wayneh

Postby wayneh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:05 pm

I should add, tire width options are determined by what will fit the clearance of your Fuji frame. Most bikes can handle 25mm no problem, if you're thinking trying 28mm have your LBS do a clearance check for you first.
wayneh

Postby tedder42 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:21 pm

BQ/Compass loves to do the rolling resistance test and show that fat tires are better. They sell fat tires. Aero, weight, rim design, inflation pressure, and fork clearance are important factors too.

Wider tires are more comfortable, but if your bike doesn't easily take them, no biggie.

https://intheknowcycling.com/2016/04/03 ... eel-sizes/
http://engineerstalk.mavic.com/the-righ ... rim-width/
tedder42

Postby mfirth » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:28 pm

Right now I have 23mm on my bike, which is all I have ever used on my road bike. So I think 25mm or 28mm will be a nice change, especially for a ride like this.

I used to have a cycle computer, but I haven't put a new battery in it since it died last summer. I am kind of old school where I just like to listen to my body and roll with it. I did all my ironman training and the race without anything.
And I have a double ring up front.. why do you ask?

Thanks again to everyone for the help, I am a bit under prepared for this ride at the moment but hopefully in a couple months time I will be slightly less under prepared ha
mfirth

Next

Return to 2016 Week Ride - September 10-17