Debating on Attending

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Debating on Attending

Postby joec2 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:31 pm

I'm a bit of an info junkie so having a cyclecomputer helps me while away the miles but also gives some good feedback. (I left mine in my bag, day 1 last year and found it interesting to be without). Psychologically it's helpful when you're dragging to know you only have "x" miles left to go. Also if you notice your cadence falling it may give you a push to step it up or let you know you may be mashing it up a hill...

I asked if you had a triple because the low/low when you need it on a stiff climb is really helpful and does save your knees. I didn't have a triple on my first CO and hurt both my knees before lunch Day 1. I was in severe pain the rest of the week. I didn't train properly and wasn't geared up correctly, so over the years I've learned. Since time is short, you have to use all the means at your disposal...you're committed now. You could upgrade your crankset to a triple to help in the climbs but this will start adding up $$$. An alternative might be to increase the size of the large cog of your cassette, you may also have to change out the rear derailleur but this is definitely less costly and less invasive to your bike and you can revert back for the tri events more easily. It will still give you a lower low gearing than you have now.

Do you ride with clipless pedals? If you do, also have them check you out at the bike shop. If you need more rotational float, now is the time to switch. If not you run the risk of aggravating your ITBs (iliotibial bands) from the climbing and long pedaling days. Make sure you bring your own stash of ibuprofen...the med staff don't dispense those anymore and you'll have to find some locally (might be hard if you're camped in a field in the middle of nowhere).

Have you decided how you'll carry your on bike gear during the week: rainwear, extra layers, arm/leg warmers, food, beer (j/k), camera. You can ditch stuff at gear drop during lunch but depending on the day you'll need your rainwear...

Let us know how you do at the bike shop...
joec2

Postby Entiat » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:49 am

Welcome aboard. Cycle Oregon is a gem, and the Oregon coast is one-of-a-kind on the planet.

Even though this is an "easier" year (and hence the older crowd), get your climbing legs in shape. There are still a few snarly climbs this year, and it's Oregon. It's got hills. We westerners spend our entire lives riding hills - do *not* insult anyone's gray hair or you will suffer the indignity of someone twice your age dropping you on the next hill, with ease. And then they will wait up for you at the top and engage in polite conversation as if there was no hill, while you try to get your lungs back on the inside.

Bring rain gear. Sure, 2015 caused all of us to question fundamental assumptions we've all held about Oregon weather patterns (clearly someone forgot to throw a Californian into a volcano to appease the weather gods, or something).

But the coast is statistically more likely to get rain than other parts around Oregon in September. There will also be chilly days, so pack a few extra layers. You may not need them...but better to have them.

Also - look ahead to 2017. If patterns hold, it will be a return to the epic climbs/descents in and out of the Blues/Wallowas/Cascades (hopefully including Crater Lake...

PS - Congrats on Ironman, especially if the bike wasn't your thing (running isn't mine).
Entiat

Postby joec2 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:08 pm

Entiat wrote:... 2015 caused all of us to question fundamental assumptions we've all held about Oregon weather patterns (clearly someone forgot to throw a Californian into a volcano to appease the weather gods, or something)...

(I'm from Cali...) I missed the shuttle to the drop zone on Day 3, sorry. :lol:

I have learned that when it rains in Oregon it DOES pour...
Last edited by joec2 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
joec2

Postby tedder42 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:56 pm

Entiat wrote:W
Also - look ahead to 2017. If patterns hold, it will be a return to the epic climbs/descents in and out of the Blues/Wallowas/Cascades (hopefully including Crater Lake... )

Crater Lake to Wallowas (and back?) seems like a long week.
tedder42

Postby mfirth » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:37 am

I was thinking about bringing my camel back and using that to carry gear while I ride. I wear it when I train so I'll be used to having it on my back. Then I don't have to worry about water during the rides either.

Haven't made it to the bike shop yet. And ido ridewith clipless, what does the extra float provide? And I have found some decent hills in the area that are keeping me busy.

I don't have any decent rain gear yet, figured I would wait until I get out to the Pacific northwest to make those purchases.

And the swim was my specialty for the Ironman, so all that land stuff took its toll on me ha.
mfirth

Postby joec2 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:18 am

mfirth wrote:...Then I don't have to worry about water during the rides either...

Haven't made it to the bike shop yet. And ido ridewith clipless, what does the extra float provide? And I have found some decent hills in the area that are keeping me busy.

I don't have any decent rain gear yet, figured I would wait until I get out to the Pacific northwest to make those purchases.

And the swim was my specialty for the Ironman, so all that land stuff took its toll on me ha.

You won't have to worry about water on this ride...carry extra large bottles on your bike. The water stops are spaced along the route well enough that you shouldn't be without. (unless you really drink alot) Just tank up at every stop, you should be fine...

The extra rotational float allows your knees to work with their natural motion. When did my first CO, I had Look fixed cleats. Due to the way my knees bend, I needed a cleat that would allow my heels to kick out a little bit on the downstroke. Since they were locked into a non-floating system, coupled with inadequate training, my knees were hurt early in the week. My ITBs got blown, it was very hard to bend them. (One day I rolled into town pedaling by the one leg that hurt less.) How are your knees feeling now?

Yeah, they know rain gear in the Pac NW, I'm sure you'll find something that works. I had complete failure with mine last year on Day 3 and paid the price. Hypothermia is not fun...

Since you're an Ironman, you know how to push through physical stress. I don't expect you'll be flagging down SAG at the first sign of gain change. (SAG is there for you, use it if you need to). Keep working those hills, your legs are getting the idea of what you are expecting of them.

When are you heading west? Are you guys driving? 8)
joec2

Postby mfirth » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:30 am

I actually messed up my IT band a few weeks before my Ironman so I got to walk the whole Marathon. Although I did find out running backwards didn't bother it so I did that every once in a while and definitely got some weird looks. Didn't affect my biking fortunately. I'll check into the rotational float when I stop at the shop.

And we plan on driving out there around August 15th. Will have two cars and all our stuff packed into those, should be a fun trip. Still need to find a place to live which has proved difficult so far
mfirth

Postby joec2 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:36 am

mfirth wrote:I actually messed up my IT band a few weeks before my Ironman so I got to walk the whole Marathon. Although I did find out running backwards didn't bother it so I did that every once in a while and definitely got some weird looks. Didn't affect my biking fortunately. I'll check into the rotational float when I stop at the shop.

And we plan on driving out there around August 15th. Will have two cars and all our stuff packed into those, should be a fun trip. Still need to find a place to live which has proved difficult so far

Ha...so you know ITB pain. Definitely get your cleats checked out since you've already had injury. Hate to see you deal with that on ride week.

CO is a community, for a week, these are your neighbors. If you need something, you just have to make a request. Maybe someone reading this living in Eugene could point you to a housing resource.

How exciting...a West Coast rode trip with your sweetie, relocation to Eugene, and your first Cycle Oregon. :)
joec2

Postby Jackson » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:43 pm

If you're looking for rain gear, check out Showers Pass. They have bright, lightweight options as well as the commenting types. Local to Portland.

https://www.showerspass.com/
Jackson

Postby joec2 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Jackson wrote:If you're looking for rain beer...Local to Portland.

'sup John...I'm always up for a new flavor :lol:
joec2

Postby mfirth » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:07 pm

joec2 wrote:
Jackson wrote:If you're looking for rain beer...Local to Portland.

'sup John...I'm always up for a new flavor :lol:

Beer brewed from only rain water. Might be on to something..
mfirth

Postby Penguin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:37 pm

You can wait until the week before the ride to determine if you need rain gear. Check the National Weather Service forecast for the coast. The last time CO was on the coast was in 2011. There was only one day when it drizzled and it was gone by mid morning.

If you need rain gear, there are many excellent bicycle shops in the Eugene area, including REI, that carry rain gear from a variety of manufacturers.
Penguin

Postby RichBenn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:32 am

That area of the coast is likely, on the whole, to have much less rain than points north, like Portland. Gold beach is one of the drier ocean areas in Oregon, and inland is drier still. However, it's good to be prepared.

My wife and I decided to go again this year. We were considering Europe, but she mentioned that the week long Cycle Oregon was one of the best vacations we ever had. That clinched it. It was kind of amazing they hadn't sold out.

See you all out there.
RichBenn

Postby mytrot » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:25 pm

Actually Gold Beach gets more than Newport and almost as much as Astoria. Camas Valley is above much of the Willamette Valley.
And predicting weather on the coast of Oregon more than 3 days out is very risky so assuming you can decide even the day before is risky so the week before is way too far out.
If I recall the long range last year had little to no rain and it was the rainiest CO I've been on (all since 08). Luckily much of it at night while I was safe in my tent!
Best option, plan on rain. If not rain a good chance of a heavy mist or fog.

ET
mytrot

Postby Entiat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:24 am

Penguin wrote:You can wait until the week before the ride to determine if you need rain gear. Check the National Weather Service forecast for the coast.

I would not recommend depending on the weather service to forecast correctly on the coast 7-10 days out. Just get some rain gear. Plan on rain and hope you carry your gear around for a week.

Light shell jacket, booties (I like Pearl Izumi Amphibs), maybe light shell pants - although I personally wear two layers of tights in the rain instead.

If you need rain gear, there are many excellent bicycle shops in the Eugene area, including REI, that carry rain gear from a variety of manufacturers.

Yep. And Portland and elsewhere, too.

Jackson previously recommended Showers Pass - an excellent choice - both my wife and I have Showers Pass jackets and they are fantastic. But you can also go cheap and layer up with light wool or synthetics under a cheap shell. You're probably going to be wet anyways (sweat), so the cheap route is a solid option, especially if it spends most of the time in your duffle bag as a sacrifice to the weather gods to keep the rain away. :-)
Entiat

PreviousNext

Return to 2016 Week Ride - September 10-17