Ride Difficulty this year

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Ride Difficulty this year

Postby syclesuzi » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:27 pm

So, I'm running (cycling) into lots of people saying the ride this year is geared toward the younger, hot-shot crowd.
I have joyfully, successfully cycled several CO's, no sag, but now I'm getting concerned!
I'm a very fit 60 yr-old cyclist/runner.
Any words of encouragement? Thinking of cancelling. Be nice!!! :shock:
Syclesuzi
syclesuzi

Re: Ride Difficulty this year

Postby Netta » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Please don't cancel!! I'm a 57 year old woman doing my 2nd Cycle Oregon (last year was my first). I am probably not as fit as you, but I realize this is a ride not a race. I've been doing some climbing and working toward just being comfortable on long climbs. Was just at the Crater Lake Century ride (I did the metric with about 5000' of climbing) and realized most of the riders were very fit, more competitive looking. I'm sure they all finished faster than I did, but who cares. I know when we finish CO this year, it will be something to really be proud of. The steep climb on Day 2 is early in the day. The long climb on day 5 will just have to be broken in chunks. If I need to stop and rest/stretch or whatever, I will. I worried about it having so much climbing but have wrapped my mind around it and now am really excited! Hope we can meet up there!! Please don't cancel! Hope others will chime in too.
Netta

Postby RonB » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:57 am

67 year old male doing my 1st CO. I also am a little worried about the length of the climbs since here in SE Wisconsin we have nothing over about 1/2 mile in length. Oh well, I'll go slow and get there. I'm pretty sure I'll not be the first one to the finish, but also am pretty sure I'll not be the last!! Hope to see you there.
Ron
RonB

Postby straightspoke » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:15 pm

Hang in!
There will always be many folks faster and many folks slower than you on CO.
Take all day if you want to, but if you feel fit and stick to your own pace, you'll do fine.
straightspoke

Postby mytrot » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:14 pm

Been at the start of every ride since 08. This has the 3rd most climbing but I think a lot of it rollers.

Until 13 I made pretty good time. Crashed out that year (3 months with a walker) and work has made recovery slow. Two back surgeries since CO last year and about 500 miles of riding.

I plan on riding every mile!

You will be more than fine as long as you ride your pace!

See you there!

Ed
Only 52!
mytrot

Postby syclesuzi » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Thank you all so much for words of encouragement. Had to switch bikes and just freaking out about not being ready. I rode '06 with a broken foot, '07, and '10, but was younger! Ugh, hope to meet you all, I owe you a round of drinks. :cry:
Syclesuzi
syclesuzi

Postby beth524 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:16 am

Oh my gosh! There is nothing to freak out about- this ride is a pleasure. I began attending Cycle Oregon 6 years ago and was also worried about my fitness and my age. Yes, there are hotshots, and racers, and younger folks that finish the day's ride before lunch, but that is not me, and I still always have an amazing time, and never have taken the sag. We have all day, and plenty of sustenance and encouragement along the way. I travel from New York for this ride, and can't wait! (and am 57 this year) See you there.
beth524

Postby joec2 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:21 am

syclesuzi wrote:Thank you all so much for words of encouragement. Had to switch bikes and just freaking out about not being ready. I rode '06 with a broken foot, '07, and '10, but was younger! Ugh, hope to meet you all, I owe you a round of drinks. :cry:

Don't get self-defeated. If you've trained for the ride you should be fine. You've already proven to yourself that you can push through discomfort. Find a pace/gearing that works for you, you may end up defining the back of the back that day but so what, every group has it. I bet you won't be the only one...

The course is not as bad as some years where there were long distances and big climbing almost everyday. Seems like Day 2 and Day 5 are the worst of the week. You don't have to do the options and Day 4 is a layover. Get your Zen on and remember for every up on this ride there is a down. Days 2/5 have some flyers on the back side of the climbing where you can make up time. When you get to the peaks on those days, take a few to savor the moment, give thanks, then point your wheels downhill and let 'er roll...

Have fun 8)
joec2

Postby joec2 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:24 am

mytrot wrote:Been at the start of every ride since 08. This has the 3rd most climbing but I think a lot of it rollers.

Until 13 I made pretty good time. Crashed out that year (3 months with a walker) and work has made recovery slow. Two back surgeries since CO last year and about 500 miles of riding.

I plan on riding every mile!

You will be more than fine as long as you ride your pace!

See you there!

Ed
Only 52!

Good luck Ed...
joec2

Postby Jackson » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:28 am

Day 2's climbing will be slow, the decent is technical so take it slow. Day 5 is a steady grind. You'll do fine. If you need a rest mid week take the option day off or only ride out to the lighthouse and back.
Jackson

Postby mytrot » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks Joe!

CO always a good time

Ed
mytrot

Postby ronnydb » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:32 am

I am just curious how CO is gearing the ride toward a younger hotshot crowd?
ronnydb

Postby mytrot » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:36 am

CO routes vary. But they do like to make it a challenge. I remember reading an article long before I ever rode CO accusing Jonathan of making the route too hilly and difficult. Mid 90's I think. It's a bike ride. Train for it reasonably and you will be fine but their may be some long days. I know my nearly 80 yr old neighbor will be there and ride most if not all of it! He's a hotshot in my book, but not young!

ET
mytrot

Postby syclesuzi » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:42 pm

I agree, he is a hot-shot, very nice! :D
Syclesuzi
syclesuzi

Postby JohnB » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:10 am

Last edited by JohnB on Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnB

Next

Return to 2016 Week Ride - September 10-17