Ride Difficulty this year

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Ride Difficulty this year

Postby mytrot » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:19 pm

John
Thanks. The accident could have been much worse so I consider myself lucky.
Hope to see you on the road or in the beer garden.
Ed
mytrot

Postby leisure1 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:29 pm

Map guy here - REPORTING! I am tracking statistics for all the rides. This will be 26 years straight for me. I am older and fatter than the last time I did Bear Camp - and that was from the steeper East side. I can tell you one thing... worrying will only stress you out. Please go have fun. Don't worry about Bear Camp. And make sure you stop along the way and look at stuff - this is an exceptionaly beautiful route.

Here is how this year measures up:
Miles: The average for all years not including options = 418 - this year it is 420
Average miles including options = 494 - this year it is 456

Elevation: Average w/o options 20,540. This year 29,805... Thats a little high...

Elevation with option: average 24,360 - this year 32,211... Thats really high

The hardest year? That would be #4. No options - 540 miles & 25,200 feet. Less elevation than this year - but a lot more miles. I can tell you for a fact that the miles can really kick your ass!

I included the Brookings day. So If you think you need a rest before Bear Camp - take the day off.

Also - the climb up to Bear Camp is not so bad. It has trees and occasional flat spots. So it doesn't mess with your brain like Rattlesnake Grade did. Take your time, have fun! This is your vacation!
leisure1

Postby bluesharp » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Looking at the routes and profile and comparing it to past years (I've done the last ten) it looks like the easiest course I've seen, overall.
If you want more of a challenge you can do the optional climbs, but there's really only one climbing day and the profile seems quite gradual.
I'm 65 and this course seems encouragingly unchallenging to me.

You'll do fine!
bluesharp

Postby syclesuzi » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:27 am

Thank you so much for words of encouragement!!!!
Syclesuzi
syclesuzi

Previous

Return to 2016 Week Ride - September 10-17