Harvest Century. Saturday October 8th

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Harvest Century. Saturday October 8th

Postby Brian C » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:35 am

The last organized century of the season in the greater Portland Metro region.

Starts and ends at the Hillsboro/Washington County Fair Grounds, in Hillsboro, OR. Saturday October 8th

http://harvestcentury.org/

Routes of 100, 75 and 45 miles as well as a 3-mile family route.

The century follows a counter clockwise loop out to Forest Grove, Newberg, Champoeg Park, Canby and then comes back to Hillsboro via Wilsonville, Sherwood and the outskirts of Aloha/Beaverton/Hillsboro. Advertised a just under 4000 feet of climbing, it can feel like more.

Climbing occurs out by Forest Grove to the first rest stop. Then on to Newberg with more short climbs, some rollers, and a few short steep climbs into Newberg. There is a lunch stop at the school on North Valley Road prior to entering into Newberg. Sandwiches, salads are offered, a full lunch as opposed to standard rest stop food.

Now head out to Champoeg Park along Hwy 219 crossing over the Wilamette River for another rest stop at the park and then on to the Canby Ferry in Canby. Cross over the river on the ferry and climb the hardest climb on the course. 0.5 miles at 16+ percent. This guy is steep, and hurts. Have your small gears ready while you are on the ferry.

On to Wilsonville and Sherwood along back country roads that have numerous climbs of anywhere from 0.10 to 0.50 miles in length and grades of 4 to 6%. They come one after another.

A rest stop then fuels you up for the last 18 miles or so back to Hillsboro.

4 rest stops along the way with food and fuel/water, etc...

A nice way to end your Event Ride 2011 cycling season.

This ride typically draws up to 600 cyclists, depending on the weather. For the last two or three years rain has been the standard, heavy at times, so come prepared.

I'll be there for my 6th
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Harvest Century. Saturday October 8th

Postby Brian C » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:56 am

Finished up my 2011 cycling (century) season with my 6th Harvest this past Saturday and 10th century of the year. A nice dark beginning of not cold temps gave way to a beautiful day of partly cloudy skies with temps in the 60s and light wind.

Over 1500 of us enjoyed the break in the rain to get in 103 miles of nice riding.

Plenty of food at all the rest stops kept us going and the 48 of us on the Canby ferry managed to grunt our way up the 100 foot climb from the ferry with no one complaining about the 15+% grade.

This was a nice closing to the season as all the riders were happy with the weather and the course.

Until next year when we do it all again, enjoy your winter riding, skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, gym or whatever you do, and see you all next season
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides