The Oregon Grand Fondo 2012

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

The Oregon Grand Fondo 2012

Postby Shifty » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:15 pm

This ride is June 2-3 starting and ending in Cottage Grove. If you liked last year's Cycle Oregon, this is the event for you.
http://dark30sports.com/events/the-oreg ... -3-2012-3/
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

Re: The Oregon Grand Fondo 2012

Postby HalfBent » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:34 am

Rode the 117 mile version. A few rain showers on the Gran portion after the separation from the Medio that almost got us to put on rain gear just when it stopped and the breaks were long enough to dry out. We were pleased to have fenders for the sloppy portions. Wonderful to have such low traffic roads. Someone on another forum described Smith River Road as more of an unmaintained bike path - yep! Beautiful with total tree canopy, but lots of rough road and big potholes. The route shared a portion of last year's Day 2 from the week ride. Nice to see it in reverse as a regular Blackberry bRamble rider. Sag support was out there but pretty thin - nothing like Cycle Oregon - I think due to the expectation of a more experienced audience. Ham radio operators provided volunteer communications for the difficult terrain. Overall I think the Oregon Gran Fondo was a success for a first outing. Beer garden and BBQ meal at the end were good too. We got back just as prices and announcements were wrapping up at 5pm so I don't know who won what in the race or any raffle. Results aren't posted yet. Oh, reg included a synthetic fabric t-shirt if you reg'd on time - nice quality and design. The only downer was the rest stop food. I'm really glad I packed powerfood and gels. Maybe it was because we aren't "racers" and not fast enough, but all we saw all day was PB&J (old after 3 stops), banannas, Heed, coconut water as well as in addition Hammergel at the first 3 stops, some tortilla chips at stop 3, and finally M&M's and some oranges at stop 4. I managed to get a can of sugared regular Coke at stop 3. My better half did the Medio course and said they had Turkey Wraps at stop 4 (their second and last stop). Those would have been good to have at our Stop 3... Rating on a scale of 1-10 = 7. I don't know the % split between racers and sport riders, but they need better food on the course for us slower types!
HalfBent

Return to Northwest Rides