April 29, 2012 Monster Cookie Metric Century

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

April 29, 2012 Monster Cookie Metric Century

Postby Brian C » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:45 am

Welcome fellow cyclists, the 2012 cycling "event" season is just around the corner. After a winter of rain, gym, spinning, along with an occasional weekend ride, its time to begin our annual series of cycling event rides.

We start off with the 2012 Monster Cookie Metric Century.

http://www.salembicycleclub.org/content ... e=majrides

This ride offers up an easy start to your cycling event rides provided you have not done the handful of earlier event rides in places like Washington and points East of Portland, the Dalles, etc…. There are some early season centuries out there.

Salem, Oregon. Sunday April 29.
$18.00 pre-registration fee with an option to purchase a box lunch at the Champoeg Rest stop for a few dollars more or you can just make due with standard rest stop food.
Day of ride registration is $25.00

The ride starts and ends at the State Capitol Plaza Mall on the north side of the State Capitol Building at 8AM. The lines at the registration tables start early so be prepared to wait in line with many other cyclists.

A super easy and fast 60-mile spin from Salem to Champoeg Park and back.

A rest stop at 15-miles, one at Champoeg Park, and then the same rest stop on the return trip to Salem (45 miles).

We will be there for our 8th time. Flat, flat and flat describes this course with a few bumps/climbs in the road that some call hills. Quiet roads once you get out of Salem with little traffic. Winds can sometimes make either going North or South a challenge but if you start out as soon as the course is open, typically the winds are light and managable.

The last two years I've made it a true century by doing the 15 to 30 to 45 mile rest stop loop twice along with meandering around the roads surrounding Champoeg Park, and plan on doing it again.

Its an easy course and very doable for those who want to add the extra 40 miles.

The weather has been nice the past two years with cold starts but heats up nicely by rides end. Be prepared however because this ride has also been rained on.

Drew over 2100 riders last year. Big crowds. Monster cookies at the end.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: April 29, 2012 Monster Cookie Metric Century

Postby wayneh » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:01 pm

I'll be there for my second time (missed a few years inbetween). This is a great first-of-the-season ride to loosen up the legs.
wayneh

Re: April 29, 2012 Monster Cookie Metric Century

Postby Brian C » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Over 2000+ riders turned out for a no rain, nice day 2012 Monster Cookie Ride. Even the wind was virtually nothing. This was a good riding day. Cool, but warmed up nicely and plenty of food at the rest stops.

As is my pattern I made it a full century and enjoyed riding the 15/30/45 mile loop twice, and the roads around Champoeg Park, as the nice day made the miles just go by very easy.

We are off to a good start.

The RACC (Ride Around Clark County) is up next.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides