2012 Lewis County Historical Ride

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Postby Brian C » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:05 pm

http://www.cyclelewiscounty.org/lchr/

Stan Headwall Park on Rice Road, Chehalis, just west of I-5 Exit #76 (Parkland Drive/13th Street).

Saturday May 12th, 2012

20, 48, 60 and 100-mile courses

I did this ride in 2010 so we’ll try it again this year as it does not conflict with the RACC like it did last year.

A mostly flat course that heads south along the I-5 corridor to Vadar and then returns north to Chelhalis.

The roads are quiet and mostly traffic free until you get back to Chehalis by going through towns such as Vadar, Winlock, Claquato and several other small towns dotted here and there.

Climbing occurs at about mile 10, a stair step climb of about 1 mile at 8%, then a right and a long descent followed by a short 6% climb at mile 12 and then your hit your first rest stop at mile 14.

From here there are just a few short little climbs here and there until rest stop 2 at mile 43.
After this rest stop are flat roads until you enter Vadar which climbs for about 2 miles at around 2% or so on Hwy 505/6 a twisting road very close to I5 North.
In Vadar you can fuel up at several food stores here and I recommend it.

Leave Vadar make a right on Winlock Vadar Road and make a long subtle climb of around 2% all the way to Winlock probably around 5 or 6 miles. Continue through Winlock on Hwy 603 to the next rest stop at mile 71. A sort loop for the century riders just before the rest stop at mile 71 outside of Winlock, throws in a 1-mile climb at 6% or you can just stay on Hwy 603 to the rest stop and avoid the climb and about 7-miles.

Out of the rest stop and from here more flats, one or two short little climbs of 5 to 8% (1 short grunt of a climb out of the town of Adna of around 10%) and into rest stop 4 at 88-miles in Claquato.

From here it’s on to Centralia with a few minor rollers and south back to Chehalis right along side I-5.

The lacking part of this ride is poorly stocked rest stops. Limited food selections and even running out of food happened at the 71 and 88 mile stops the last time I did this ride. My plan will be to get lunch in Vadar as there are several food places like Subway, etc… to fuel up as well as carry my own food.

Overall a medium ride with limited climbing, but bring your own food would be my recommendation, and use the rest stop food/water as a supplement to what you carry or buy at a store.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: 2012 Lewis County Historical Ride

Postby Brian C » Sun May 13, 2012 9:02 am

A beautiful day allowed 250+ riders to ride in bright warm sunshine Saturday. A cold start quickly warmed us up by the first rest stop at mile 15 and from then on it was warm and warmer but never really got too hot.

Quiet roads allowed for traffic free riding and even the winds were not too hard heading North back from Vader to Chehalis.

Watermelon and cantaloupe melons at the 71 mile rest stop were nice to have. Tailwinds for the last 7 miles helped push everyone back home from Centralia to Chehalis.

All in the the day was sunny, the roads were quiet, it was not excessively hot so this turned out to be a good ride.

Up next, The Pioneer Century.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides