2012 Blackberry bRamble. Eugene, OR. August 5

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

2012 Blackberry bRamble. Eugene, OR. August 5

Postby Brian C » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:01 am

http://edu.eugenegears.org/bramble

Sunday August 5. Hilyard Community Center in Amazon Park, Eugene

I'll be there for my 12th on this very nice ride.

Ride distances of a 100-mile Century, the 62-mile Metric Century, the 39-mile SubCentury, or the 10-20-mile Community Ride

This is a wonderful ride on some super quiet roads that take us out to Kings Estate, Wolf Creek Pass in the coast range and its wonderful views, Fern Ridge Reservoir, and bike trails back to Amazon Park.

Food at three rest stops with sandwiches and pasta salad at rest stop #2. A nice change from the standard rest stop menu.

Climbs include the rough 2 or so mile climb on Lorane Hwy leading right out of town at the start of about 4 to 5%.

Rollers and a few short climbs take us out to Lorane after this, nothing really tough and recently they repaved and smoothed out some of these roads.

From rest stop #1 to the beginning of Wolf Creek Pass you are in some thick woods with numerous short climbs, none really too hard except for one steep one, and very twisty ups and downs that keep you on your toes. This is a nice quiet road with virtually zero traffic.

The 3-mile climb up Wolf Creek pass averages 4 to 6% the entire way but levels out slightly for the last 1/2 mile or so. The views from the top are super, with a water stop only, typically at the start of the climb.

The technical descent from the top is wild with some very twisty turns and its fast. From the bottom its a long somewhat false flat road that leads to another long 2-mile descent prior to rest stop #2.

After this there are numerous other little climbs for the remainder of the ride into rest stop 3 but nothing hard or long. There is also a water stop only, typically on Poodle Creek Road before you get to rest stop 3.

The views on some of these roads are beautiful taking in the coast range, rolling hills, and lush forests.

Enoy a nice century on quiet roads.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: 2012 Blackberry bRamble. Eugene, OR. August 5

Postby Brian C » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:24 am

Finished up a hot bRamble on Sunday. About 500 of us showed up for a comfortable ride to start but the heat went up starting at mile 60.

The organizers decided to change the opening of the course and right out of the shute we did a 4-mile climb with several false flats, of about 5%, out of Eugene on Fox Hollow Road. Once we hooked up with Territoral Hwy the rest of the course remained the same.

The weather was fine but the last 40 miles had the heat going up. Thank goodness for the water stop on Lawrence Road as well as SAG who carried cold water with them. It helped.

As always the rest stops had plenty to eat and drink as well as helpful people. The pool/showers at Hilyard Community Center helped cool us off on this hot finish.

Up next, The Covered Bridge Bicycle Tour
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby wayneh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:44 am

Brian,

Great ride on Sunday. For me, the heat prompted me to backtrack to Crow Road and ride a modified metric rather than the full hundred. I have to say that the stretch sfter Lorane was some of the most beautiful riding on absolutely quiet roads I've enjoyed.

Wayne
wayneh

Postby wayneh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:46 am

Brian,

Question regarding the upcoming Covered Bridge Tour, which I'll be doing with a friend. What kind of gearing will you ride for this?

Wayne
wayneh

Postby Brian C » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:44 am

Wayne,

For the Covered Bridge I'll be bring my double bike. I'll use my triple for the Portland Century.

53x39 in the front
12x26 in the rear.

Except for the 13+% grunt of a climb into rest stop 2 this is usually enough for me. I'm not a climber so I just grunt up the other hills at 3 to 6MPH. Oh well ;)
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby wayneh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:07 am

Brian,

Thanks. I've been riding a 52X36 combo the last few centuries and that has been sufficient. 13% with a 39 is a bit of a stretch for me. I'll miss the Portland Century as I am going down to Newport for the Lighthouse Century, which I've done before. It's a refreshing dose of coastal experience and a nice ride put on by a great club.

I really appreciate your ride comments. Thanks again.

Wayne
wayneh

Return to Northwest Rides