Portland Century. August 19, 2012

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Portland Century. August 19, 2012

Postby Brian C » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:45 am

http://portlandcentury.com/

August 19, 2012
101, 80 and 40 miles course offered.
5585 feet of climbing for the century course.
5 advertised rest stops for the century course

I'll take on my 2nd Portland Century this year. The course takes in countless roads and trails that we’ve ridden over the course of many years of cycling around metro Portland.

Starts and ends at Portland State University in downtown Portland.

The course will take a clockwise loop out of Portland, to the hills East of Troutdale, then through Sandy and finally return along the Springwater Trail Corridor

The first 32 miles are flat and takes us out along Marine Drive to Troutdale with a rest stop at 25 miles. Once through Troutdale the climbing begins and does not end until just outside of Boring when we get on the Springwater Trail at mile 75. Thats 42 miles of nothing but ups and downs.

The climbs are steep along Gordon Creek Road and Ten Eyck Road (climbs of 15+%) into Sandy. There was one rest stop on Gordon Creek Road and another rest stop in Sandy to fuel up.

Leave Sandy and do more climbing, ups/and downs, until the twisting 2-mile descent on Kitzmiller Rd and fuel up in Eagle Fern Park at rest stop #4.

Back out and take on the climbs along SE Eagle Fern Rd, (15+ %) and the 2 mile climb on SE Amisigger Rd into Boring at 6%.

Finally outside of Boring the climbing ends on the Springwater Trail and you hit your last rest stop at about mile 80 on the trail. From then on continue along the trail back to Portland, past OMSI, over the Burnside Bridge and back to PSU along Broadway.

This was/is one hard ride. There are countless other short climbs all along the roads around Sandy and beyond, that just keep coming at you.

Advertised as 5585 feet its more along the area of 6500+ based on other riders I spoke to.

Dinner at the end awaits those who want it.

After 7+ hours in the saddle and 90+ degree heat last year I figure, what the heck, lets do it again!
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Portland Century. August 19, 2012

Postby Brian C » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:27 am

Finished up a very nice and re-routed 2nd Portland Century for your truly on Sunday along with 2000 other enthusiastic cyclists.

The organizers made some big changes to the course and as a result the climbing was reduced and this along with very nice cool temps made for a very nice ride.

The first 50+ miles followed the same route as last year and the steep climbs along Gordon Creek and Ten Eyck Roads lived up to their grunt reputations.

From Mening Park the organizers took us back to Portland on fairly flat roads throwing in a wall on SE Lusted and then the final climb up and over Mt Tabor.

5 rest stops kept us fueled up and the pizza at Linneman Station was a nice touch.

Even the weather cooperated, and the nice 55 degree temps in the mist around Bull Run made for autumn like riding so no-one got overheated.

Kudos to the new course.

All in all this was a nice improvement on last years climbing fest.

Up next, my first attempt at the Beaverton Banks and Beyond Century.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides