Beaverton Banks and Beyond Bicycle Tour. Saturday August 25,

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Beaverton Banks and Beyond Bicycle Tour. Saturday August 25,

Postby Brian C » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:37 am

Beaverton Banks and Beyond Bicycle Tour. Saturday August 25, 2012

http://www.nwbicyclesafetycouncil.org/e ... e-details/

Starts and ends at Papa’s Pizza Parlor located at 15700 Blueridge Drive in Beaverton, Oregon

First time I’ll give this ride a try.

100, 86 and 64 mile courses.

I’ve ridden virtually all the roads the century will take in as the courses head due west out of Beaverton. Most of the ride takes in roads throughout Washington County and these farm roads are mostly flat.

Once out of ROY where the first rest stop is scheduled to be, the century continues West to Banks and Vernonia, OR., and hooks up with the Banks-Vernonia State Trail. I’ve never ridden the trail or made it to Vernonia so it should be interesting as there will be some climbing to get there. Once at Vernonia the course returns along the trail and back to Beaverton along the farm flat roads of Washington County.

Overall this ride looks like a relatively flat and easy century with the climbing concentrated on your outbound trip to Vernonia.

We’ll see.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Beaverton Banks and Beyond Bicycle Tour. Saturday August

Postby Brian C » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:25 am

Finished up my first ever BBB ride on Saturday.

The weather was nice at the beginning at kept everyone cool on the way out to Banks via a few climbs through Helvetia and the farm roads through North Plains and Roy.

Once we made it to Banks we all got on the Banks/Vernonia State Trail and road up it all the way to Vernonia and Anderson Park. The climb was steady up but not really hard, just long, at an average gradient of around 2%. Then we turned around and returned to Banks on the same trail.

The trail was bumpy in numerous parts and could use a repavement, as we bounced along it, and the one short section that dropped down into a gorge and back up had some extreme switchbacks that had yours truly use the turnouts on them so as to get started for the steep climbs back up out of the gorge. Thank goodness the climbs were short.

Once back to Banks we road the farmroads back to Beaverton through the outskirts of Hillsboro.

The one sad part is that the rest stops were poorly stocked. The only rest stop that had a fair amount of food was the one in Vernonia. On the return to Beaverton, the stop in Banks had only bananas, thats it, and slurpys, as well as some fruit bars, and the 85 mile stop only had had water and fruit bars. This ride could do better in offering more food, as well as variety, at all the rest stops.

Up next, the Farm-to-Farm century
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Beaverton Banks and Beyond Bicycle Tour. Saturday August

Postby AngryKnees » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:58 am

This was one *beautiful* ride. Weather was gorgeous, and the area is just beautiful to ride through.

Sadly, I have to agree about the food. They promise a big "lunch" at the end of the ride, but that only seems to work out for the shorter routes. Those of us on the century have to finish within 8.5 hours, or they stop serving. Rest stops could have used more variety, too.

According to this (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1635502) the total climbing was 9200 ft ! It's all pretty much gradual as Brian said, except for the short climb to the rest stop on the trail on the way out.

Early starters had to put up with neighborhood jerks removing and changing some of the directional signs the course organizers put up. The cue sheets worked well, though, and helped my group through the rough spots.

I'll probably do this one again - it's just such a beautiful ride. But I'll definitely bring my own food.

Kevin
AngryKnees

Return to Northwest Rides