2013 Monster Cookie Metric Century. Sunday April 28

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

2013 Monster Cookie Metric Century. Sunday April 28

Postby Brian C » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:03 am

It’s 2013 and time to gear up for our yearly ritual of event rides around the Pacific Northwest. After a winter of rainy and somewhat cold weekend and now late weekday riding with the longer daylight hours, its time to get started.

We begin with the 2013 Monster Cookie Metric Century.

http://www.salembicycleclub.org/

This ride provides an easy flat start to your cycling event rides unless you've done the few other early season centuries in places like Washington, and The Dalles Oregon, who offer up a few early season centuries.

Salem, Oregon. Sunday April 28.
$20.00 pre-registration fee with an option to purchase a box lunch at the Champoeg Rest stop for a few dollars more or you can just make due with standard rest stop food.
Day of ride registration is $25.00

The ride starts and ends at the State Capitol Plaza Mall on the north side of the State Capitol Building at 8AM. The lines at the registration tables start early so be prepared to wait in line with many other cyclists.

60-miles, all flat through the farmlands south of Salem, except for a few small climbs spaced throughout the course. It’s an out and back ride to Champoeg Park and then back to Salem.

A rest stop at 15-miles, one at Champoeg Park, and then the same rest stop on the return trip to Salem (45 miles). Cookies, and other food/water are provided and they never run out of stuff.

We'll be there for our 9th time and plan on making it a century for my 4th time by doing the loop from rest stop 1 to Champoeg and back to the same rest stop, twice. This typically gets you an additional 27 miles and you can add onto this by meandering around some of the other farm roads that crisscross the course. It’s an easy century or metric century, provided the winds are not blowing strong as often they can be, or if rain makes an appearance. We've been lucky as the past three years have been dry, with cold starts but nice temps later on, and manageable winds.

Drew over 2100 riders last year. Big crowds. Monster cookies at the end.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: 2013 Monster Cookie Metric Century. Sunday April 28

Postby wayneh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Love this first of the season ride. Nice folks and a pleasant route. This will be my fifth year. The cookies at the finish are great!
wayneh

Postby Force 5 Robert » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:16 am

Will likely do this ride again. It is a good intro to the season.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby Brian C » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Opened up the season with a nice Monster Cookie Metric as yours truly made it a century for my 4th time. Yes, I don't know why I wanted to deal with the South to North headwinds twice, but I did.

A nice comfortable day with easy temps, not a cold start at all, and the winds going down to Champoeg Park had us softpedaling at speeds of up to 20MPH as they just pushed us along.

Coming back to Salem was another story.

Plenty of food to keep us fueled up and lots of cyclists on the roads. My guess would be 2000 as was last years turnout as well. Dry weather helped.

Up next, the RACC ride.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides