2013 Ride Around Clark County (RACC) May 4th

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

2013 Ride Around Clark County (RACC) May 4th

Postby Brian C » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:37 pm

30th Anniversary RACC
Saturday May 4th

After the Monster Cookie warm-up ride, just 6 days earlier, comes the Ride Around Clark County (RACC). The first true century in the greater Portland Metro Region

http://vbc-usa.com/

Clark College Hanna Hall
1820 Fort Vancouver Way
Vancouver, Washington

Distances of 18, 34, 65 and 100 miles.

I’ll be there for my 13th RACC.

Day of ride registration and course opens at 6:30 AM.
$30.00 pre-registration fee for Non-Vancouver Bike Club members.

The 100 mile course is advertised as 4800 feet of total elevation gain but others with Garmin GPS devices have reported up to 5300 feet. 3-rest stops along the way with food and the usual water/sports drinks.

The roads are quiet from the first rest stop until you get back to Vancouver via Felida, with very nice views of the rolling hills in Northern Clark County. There are numerous rollers and climbs along the 100-mile course with lengths up to 1-mile and grades up to 20+%. This is a hilly course.

The final 10 miles offer up two short killer climbs on NW 36th (Felida) and NW Bernie Drive (15+ to 20+%). The metric century riders also have to deal with these beasts.

Be prepared for rain as the last time I did this ride (century course) without getting rained on was 2007. It seems rain usually impacts the century riders, all other courses seem to be spared, as the hills from miles 45 to 77 act as a rain magnet and the roads can get sloppy and slippery.

Early morning riders (6:30AM start) typically have a cool start as temps can range in the mid to upper 30's to low 40's at this early hour. This is a good challenging opening season century to test your legs early.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides