Group Health Yakima Ridges Ride

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Group Health Yakima Ridges Ride

Postby Brian C » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:42 am

Saturday May 17th, Yakima, WA

Fred Meyer North 40th Avenue and Powerhouse Road, a block off Hwy 12 across from Bi-Mart and Chesterly Park.

1 day, 4 routes: 25, 50, 70 or 100 miles across the ridges of the upper Yakima Valley.

http://www.desertvalley.com/rides/

I will be there for my 2nd time. This is challenging century that goes all around Yakima, WA. It basically is a series of ups and downs. Advertised as 5400 ft of total climbing it seems like more. The longest climb is about 3+ miles to the first rest stop. The rest of this roller coaster will offer up short steep little guys and longer rollers that just come and go. They call it Yakima Ridges because they do find the "ridges".

If you are familiar with Yakima the scenery offers up farmlands and brown rolling hills, consistent with central Washington. 6 rest stops spaced throughout the century with nice people that record your ride number to know where you are on this winding course.

Barbecue at the end. This century will challenge you.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby Brian C » Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 am

Hot and brutal sums up my second attempt at the Yakima Ridges Century. 150 riders showed up at 6:30 AM to try and beat the heat for this one.

About 25 of us attempted the century. Up until the 50-mile rest stop things were going fair, if 80 to 90 degrees can be called OK.

But from here on the heat rose quickly and this just wore me out. Temps topped out at around 98+ degrees and this along with the constant climbs took its toll. By the final rest stop at 90 miles my legs and me were shot. I settled for 90 miles and sagged home as I knew that there was one more tough climb at mile 98 and the cramping in my legs told me I was not going to make it.

The roads were so hot you could see the waves of heat rising as you rode along on farm roads where not even the cows were out in this stuff.

I guess I'll try for the full century next year and hope that the blast furnace is not turned up too high.

Up next, the Pioneer Century
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides