Strawberry Century. June 14th

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Strawberry Century. June 14th

Postby Brian C » Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 am

Strawberry Century. Saturday June 14th

Goes off from Lebanon, Oregon. I'll be there for my 5th time with this one. Shorter routes of 73 and 53 miles are offered.

http://www.santiamspokes.org/STRAWBERRY/overview.html

The first 25+ or so miles takes us to Roaring Rivers State Park. The same park used by the Covered Bridge Bicycle Tour for their rest stop. A few little climbs on Richardson Gap road and then the 1.9 mile stairstep climb shortly after the park with two sections at 11%.

Then once the course hits Waterloo we are on the same roads as in past Strawberries. A tough little climb out of Sweethome, OR after rest stop #2, and rollers throughout until the roads leading into Brownsville, OR. Nothing really hard.

From rest stop #3 in Brownsville we go home to Lebanon on farm roads running along the I5 Corridor. Winds are often a factor hear and can make you work at times depending on if they are blowing from the North which they usually are.

Since the organizers revised the course last year it has has made this ride that much nicer as far as scenery goes.

Overall a nice course with good rest stops, plenty of food, and good people.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby Brian C » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:21 am

What a beautiful Strawberry. The weather was wonderful and the cool morning was full of bright sunshine and empty roads. I even saw some deer walking along Baptist Church Road outside of Lebanon.

It never got too hot and even the headwinds coming back from Brownsville were managable.

Tons of food at all the rest stops, and 700 of us enjoyed one of the best early summer days for a bike ride this season.

This was a fun ride.

Up next we head into the mountains for the Tour De Blast.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides