PDX Century

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

PDX Century

Postby Lazlo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:05 pm

I'm thinking of doing the Portland Century on 8/24 as the last big ride before CO, but I've been warned that there have been logistical problems in the past. Anyone have any insights?
Lazlo

Re: PDX Century

Postby Force 5 Robert » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:27 pm

Lazlo wrote:I'm thinking of doing the Portland Century on 8/24 as the last big ride before CO, but I've been warned that there have been logistical problems in the past. Anyone have any insights?

I rode this the 1st year they did it 2006 - Wont go again. Don't even get me started on that fiasco of a ride.

Have they fixed it yet? Anyone know?
Force 5 Robert

Portland Century

Postby wayneh » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:20 pm

I also rode this with my son the first year, and the word "Fiasco" is pretty accurate. I didn't care much for riding the Springwater corridor, and at the end of the ride they routed us through North Portland neighborhood side streets with plenty of stop signs just to make it a century. I finally got so fed up I crossed the Broadway bridge and rode up to Portland State on my own, only to find that most of the food was already gone. The route looks pretty much unchanged. I have no interest in repeating this ride.

I'm considering riding the Seattle Century on July 24, but it looks like it is put on by the same organizer. Anyone have any experience with this ride?
wayneh

Postby Brian C » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:56 am

I too would be interested in any info on this ride. I've not done it but thought about it this year.

From the looks of the course the section from the Columbia River Historic Hwy takes you into severe climbing as I am familiar with these roads from countless club rides and the old Torture 10,000.

Any personal insight as to this ride is appreciated.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby Steve from Beavercreek » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:58 am

I rode the Portland Century 100 miles in 2006 and 2007. You are correct about them messing it up the first year. Last year they corrected every one of those problems. There were no lines to pick up your packets in the morning of the ride. They gave us the option of picking up our packets the day before at a restaurant in SE Portland. The restaurant had beer and food specials for all the riders. On the ride, they fixed the problem of not enough portapoties. They added a new sponsor at Blue Lake Park. They had Hot Lips pizza for everybody. I found that the ride was well supported and the directions on the route were very visible last year. They did a complete 360 from the year before. There was also plenty of food for everyone at the end of the ride. I would rate this as my best century ride for last year. I will definitely be signing up soon for this year's ride.
Steve from Beavercreek

Postby Lazlo » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:41 am

Thanks, Steve. Based on that I think I'll still plan on doing it. This will be my first century (unless I get ambitious before then).
Lazlo

Postby Steve from Beavercreek » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:28 pm

I consider this century as an excellent training ride for Cycle Oregon. There is some significant climbing from Eagle Creek to Sandy and also some seriouse climbing from Bull Run on up to Corbett. I measured just over 5,000 feet of climbing on this ride. It is great prep for our Day #4 in the Wallowas.
Steve from Beavercreek

Postby MarbleMtn » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:51 pm

I really enjoyed the 2007 Portland Century. The support was great. Best food and refreshments I have ever seen. Even better than CO which is saying a lot.

I am never fond of city riding but it was not bad.

We are going back to Portland for this ride.

Clyde and Bridget of Eugene.
MarbleMtn

Return to Northwest Rides