Vine Ride. August 16th

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Vine Ride. August 16th

Postby Brian C » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:27 pm

Goes out of George Fox University in Newburg, OR.

http://www.vineride.com/

I’ll be there for my 6th. A pleasant ride that takes in countless vineyards all around Yamhill county and other venues. 35, 65 and 100 mile courses.

4 rest stops with food, water, sports drinks and an end of ride all you can eat pasta feed, salad, bread, ice cream, soda, etc…on the grounds of the University. Music and prize giveaways as well.

The century is not hard. Only one major climb over Eola Hills that comes at around 60 or so miles after rest stop #2. A 2 mile climb that starts off at 13+ percent for 1/3 of a mile. Then you make a left and the grade settles in at around 5 to 6 percent for the remaining mile and 2/3rds with a false summit near the top.
A screaming descent with the requisite stop sign at the bottom!

That about it for the hard stuff. There are climbs during miles 32 to about 40 or so but rollers and medium length stuff, all easy. Some rollers between rest stops 3 and 4 and then the last set of short climbs during the final 10 mile stretch into Newburg , and you’re done.

This is a pleasant and typically draws lots of cyclists.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby dunshay04 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:54 pm

Just walked in the door from the Vine Ride. Beautiful scenery, good rest stops. BIG PROBLEM: no SAG support with record temps. Lots of people were running out of water out there and looked like they were having a difficult time – sitting in the shade on side of road, etc. A little bit scary considering a bicyclist died going over Eola Hill during our last heat wave (he was on a ride out of Salem -- heard he didn't have any water with him -- don't know if he started the ride with no water or if he ran out).
dunshay04

Postby chckan50 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:17 pm

I agree on the issue of SAG support. This was not a typical riding day and had the potential of some riders getting into a zone that that they needed help. My riding partner and I both commented on the number of riders who seemed to be struggling. When asked if they needed nelp they all said no. Cycle Oregon does such a good job watching out for the the riders. Today would have been a day that needed this same great SAG support, but it was not evident during the time I was on the course. I did the 71 mile ride (advertised as 65) and arrived at the finish at 2:00 and never saw any support on the entire course.

This is a great ride. It is too bad that the weather did not cooperate but this is always the potential in a ride held in August.
chckan50

Postby Brian C » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:04 am

My 6th Vine ride completed, 98 degree heat and all.

Many of us Century riders had the same idea in starting very early. By 5:30AM the parking lot was already filling up with early riders and we all prepared in total darkness and on the road by 6AM, still being dark. Thank goodness the organizers opened the registration tables early.

The first 19 miles to rest stop one were fine, but where was the rest stop. No-one was there. As I was pulling out a truck showed up and there they were at 7:15AM. I waited, grabbed two water bottles, a banana and pushed on, knowing the sooner I got this ride over with the sooner I would get out of the impending heat. They should have been setup by now, they admitted they were late and I felt sorry for the 6 or so riders ahead of me who didn't have this rest stop ready for them.

Things went OK at the second rest stop and the heat still was manageable, but once we got to Eola Hills the heat was turned on. According to the 2nd rest stop folks there was suppossed to be a water stop at the top of the climb, but I never saw one.

From here on it was just drink, drink and drink, along with tons of melons to keep the fluid levels toppped off.

It was great that all the rest stops had ice and I packed my water bottles with it so that when it melted, fast I might add, I had cold water. There were people at the last rest stop drowing themselves in water from the hose just to stay cool.

Got back at 1:30 PM to avoid the really killer heat but regardless this was a hot one.

I agree, sag and water stops in places other than the designated rest stops would have been an added plus.

Burgers and salad at the end in what shade we could find completed a hot but successful ride.

Up next, Golden Valley Bike Pedal in Goldendale, WA.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby slv0700 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:42 pm

I do that ride almost every weekend; living close to Newberg and all.
so I wasn't going to pay for it. I waited and did the ride on Sunday in the cool, no sunshine day in my area ! Did it in three bottles of water.
Sorry to hear about the sag issue tho......
slv0700

Postby Force 5 Robert » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:35 pm

Yikes! I did this ride last year but could not make it this time.... it was hot here as well. Kind of glad I was not out in that heat...

:shock:
Force 5 Robert

Postby Lazlo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:16 pm

I was on a training ride with the folks from Strada Saturday, I think we crossed paths with some of these riders. Pretty country, I'll have to keep this one in mind for next year.
Lazlo

Return to Northwest Rides