Peach of a Century

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Peach of a Century

Postby Brian C » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:34 pm

Sunday, September 28, 2008

http://www.salembicycleclub.org/content ... e=majrides

100 and 62 miles out a Chemeketa Community College in Salem Oregon.

Last year Salem changed the Century Course and made it a little bit more challenging with a little more climbing.

The first legs offers up some short meduim rollers out to Jefferson instead of the usual flat valley roads.

Flat roads, small rollers and one short steep climb out of Scio takes you to rest stop #2.

Now the bulk of the climbing with 5 miles of ups and downs (Victor Point Road) skirting the hills of Silver Falls with a long descent to Silverton and then flat roads all the way back to Salem via farm valley roads North of Salem.

The rest stops are spaced out long on this ride being 30+ miles for #'s 2 and 3 so be sure to stay topped off with food and fluid.

This is nice course for the Salem Bike Clubs Peach of a Century and offers up a good improvement on their always wonderful rides.

I'll be there for my 11th Peach
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby Brian C » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:55 am

A beautiful cool morning gave way to sunny and warm skies as 1000 of us took on the Peach of a Century.

The course offered up its usual beautiful views of pastoral farmlands, rolling hills and a wall on Triumph Road that we had to climb up as we tackled the foothills of Silver Falls and its ups and downs.

A nice change of rest stop locations from last year had us fuel up in Silverton in a blanket of tall tress at Silverton Park for the final 25-miles back to the finish along the flat farm roads North East of Salem.

This was a good ride with plenty of foods at all the rest stops, and great weather.

Up next, the season ending Harvest Century on October 12th.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby MarbleMtn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:02 pm

Great Peach of a Century complete with really good peach pie.

Clyde
MarbleMtn

Re: Peach of a Century

Postby dougnlis » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Our first Peach. Found the food at rest stops barely adequate, with signs that we had entirely missed out on items at each stop. Some of those missing items (potatoes!) would have provided useful fuel a ways down the road. We didn't leave late, weren't dogging it by any means, but I grabbed the last fig newton out of the bowl in and thought I was lucky to get it. Mostly it was bits of fruit and trail mix. Adequate, but barely, until that wonderful peach pie!
Steel is Real
dougnlis

Postby pumatracker » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:55 pm

I really wanted to like this ride and support the local bike club. I really did.

But the sad truth is I saw too many riders behaving badly. I know there are some dangerous riders at every event, but I have never seen it this bad. Some mobs were riding up to 5 across and 7 deep, rarely moving over for vehicles. Riders stopped in the middle of the road for resting, sightseeing and repairs. Riders took off from a stop without looking back to see who they were pulling out in front of. There was a guy riding the center line, alone, for no reason, refusing to move over for traffic. Then there was the guy standing by the side of the road, no effort at concealment, peeing. :shock: This kind of behavior puts us all at risk for drivers with road rage.

My appreciation to all those I saw riding single file, using a rear view mirror, pulling off the road when stopped, slowing down at stop signs, and actually stopping at stop signs when there was traffic. :D There needed to be more safe riders at the Peach ride.
pumatracker

Postby dougnlis » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:52 pm

>Then there was the guy standing by the side of the road, no effort at concealment, peeing.<

Porta-potties was another common complaint, from the start line on. Was it four or five for a ride of this size? The lines were extreme, the maintenance spotty (no pun!!). Upon return to the finish the first blue room I entered had no tp left, and that is more information than you wanted to know.

No wonder there were riders improvising, but discretion is always a virtue, even in rural Oregon.
Steel is Real
dougnlis

Return to Northwest Rides