Harvest Century. Sunday Oct 12th

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Harvest Century. Sunday Oct 12th

Postby Brian C » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:58 am

http://www.harvestcentury.org/

Sunday Oct 12, 2008

I'll be there for my third.

The last organized century on the Pacific Northwest event calendar.

5 rest stops on the century course.

Climbing occurs on the Camby Ferry crossing, a grunt of a climb out of the river heading North from the ferry for about ½ mile at 15+% in spots. This guy is tough.

A succession of climbs on Beef Bend Road near Aloha, Beaverton to Hwy 219 with rest stop 2 located on Beef Bend.

Mostly farmland roads to rest stop #3 (lunch) and then #4 North of Forest Grove with short and medium length climbs throughout the Forest Grove region. Nothing too hard.

Then we come back along roads used by the Vine Ride earlier this year as we pass Gaston and enter Newburg. Rollers, medium length and short climbs that do require an effort into Newburg.

Finally back to Champoeg Park along 99W as we cross over the river.

Advertised as 2900 or so feet of climbing it may seem like more but its only in spots that you have to work.

A good way to end your "Century" cycling season.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

75 mile option

Postby wayneh » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:08 pm

Brian,

Any thoughts about the "easier" 75 mile route? I'm not sure I'll be up for the full century, just curious, as I have never done this ride before.
wayneh

Postby Brian C » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:10 am

The 75 mile course avoids the roads around Forest Grove. The course splits at the 45/50 mile rest/lunch stop with the 75 milers going directly west over Blooming Fern Hill Road the easy way and then hooks up with the combined century/75-mile course on Spring Hill road.

You basically eliminate the farm roads and medium hills around and through Forest Grove.

We then all return on the same roads along Spring Hill road and through Newberg.

Hope this helps
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Postby dunshay04 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:54 pm

Just an FYI -- there is road construction on Hwy 219 in Newberg. They are realigning the Wilsonville Rd./Springbrook Rd./Wyhooski St. intersections and installing a traffic signal. Repaving has been going on and at times there are road delays and the surface can be pretty bad. Not sure how much progress they made last week while we were on Cycle Oregon. I'll try to drive through there to see and make another post.
dunshay04

Postby Brian C » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:56 am

A cold morning greeted about 600 to 900 of us as we closed out the 2008 event cycling season with the Harvest Century. As the day wore on the sun came out to a beautiful cloudless sky as we road in the early morning darkness to Canby and points beyond.

Lunch consisted of vegetarian Chili and on we went to Forest Grove. Here we had a bizarre horse that liked to eat helmets, sunglasses, cyclometers or whatever else it could find on the bikes resting up against the fence at the rest stop. Go figure

The remaining miles had us join up with the 75-milers as we all cycled in together for beer and more food at the finish line.

A long day in the saddle completed another successful cycling season.

Until next year as we do it all over again.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Harvest Century Oct 19

Postby PAMDGJ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:15 pm

I rode the beautiful Harvest Century but was disappointed by the support of the sponsor Community Vision, Inc. At rest stop #4 at the Hillside Church, the port-a-potties were locked so the participants had to go in the woods across the street (not much privacy for women). If you were uncomfortable revealing your private parts in the small patch of woods, then you could hold it for 46.7 miles to the next rest stop. Even worse though, there was no beer as promised when I arrived at the finish. The sponsors ran out of beer and did not go for more. Who wants hot apple cider after riding 102 miles?
PAMDGJ

Return to Northwest Rides