Monster Cookie Metric Century. Sunday April 26th

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Monster Cookie Metric Century. Sunday April 26th

Postby Brian C » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:59 am

The 2009 event ride season begins. For the greater Portland Metro region the 2009 Monster Cookie Metric Century offers up an easy start to your cycling event rides provided you have not done the handful of earlier event rides in places like Washington and points East of Portland, the Dalles, etc….

Salem, Oregon. Sunday April 26th
$14.00 pre-registration fee and an optional $6.00 if you want a box lunch at Champoeg Park.

http://www.salembicycleclub.org/content ... e=majrides

The ride starts and ends at the State Capitol Plaza Mall on the north side of the State Capitol Building at 8AM. The lines at the registration tables start early so be prepared to wait in line with many other cyclists.

A super easy and fast 60-mile spin from Salem to Champoeg Park and back.

A rest stop at 15-miles, one at Champoeg Park, and then the same rest stop on the return trip to Salem.

Have done this ride 6-times. Flat, flat and flat describes this course with a few bumps/climbs in the road that some call hills. Quiet roads once you get out of Salem with little traffic. The weather the past few seasons has been good with cool morning temps given way to nice sun and warmer temps with light breezes.

Draws up to 1500 or so riders depending on the weather. Big crowds. Monster cookies at the end.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Monster Cookie Metric Century. Sunday April 26th

Postby Force 5 Robert » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:21 am

Registered and will be at this one!
:)
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby MaryB » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:43 pm

See you at the Cookie!
Keep an eye out for Millie the Bee, my bike buddy.

MaryB
MaryB

Postby wayneh » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:35 pm

I'm all signed up and looking forward to it. Looks like dry weather, too!

Wayne
wayneh

Postby HalfBent » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:56 pm

Wayne,

I looked for you but didn't see you. I hope you had a nice ride. We did! A riding friend from town and I "commuted" to the start by bike then did the ride giving us a full century (my first of the year). We joined my other half (who you met in the beer garden last September) in Salem and did the Cookie as a mini-group. Then we finished at a pub. A very nice day/ride indeed!

Next one for us is Strawberry. Can't made RACC this year. Also heard that Watermelon is taking a bye this year - despite what it says on their web site - mainly due to lack of a lead for ride coordination.

Are you going to ride the CO Weekend? My other half is riding. I'm helping as volunteer coordinator for our bike club which is providing lunch labor one day. Maybe I'll see you in the beer garden. I'll be dropping her off for the event. If not, sun check until the September version...

Tailwinds,

Halfbent
HalfBent

Postby wayneh » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:46 pm

Hey Joe,

I was somewhat amped to ride, so got there way too early, and the minute they handed out the pre-reg packets I was off. Got done at 12:30 and headed home to work in the yard. Would have enjoyed hooking up with you again, I enjoyed your company last year (as well as the inside stuff regarding the ride logistics, meeting your lovely wife), and the beer garden comraderie of course.

I'm doing CO the week, not the weekend. Signed up the minute I got to the kick-off party. I'm doing other local rides to get into shape, like RACC ( I may do 100, or wimp out, we'll see) and then Reach The Beach on the 16th. My friend Bob from Washington is coming down to join me for that, but didn't get into CO this year, so I'm riding solo again. My big news is that I got into Ride The Rockies, so I'm up against the wall to get into some semblance of shape quickly. Never been to Colorado, signing up was one of those "check the box" things, didn't think I'd actually get in. Oh s#@*! What did I sign up for? 12,000 foot elevation passes, that's what.

A side note, my son transferred to OSU in March as a sophomore, and is riding category D on the cycling team, they were over in Moscow Idaho this weekend, so he is getting his feet wet racing and learning the drill. This from a kid who a few years ago thought I was nuts doing CO every year. I guess rebuilding my Trek and giving that to him for high school graduation turned out to be a good thing. I told him after racing is done I want to come down and do a Sunday ride with him around Corvallis before I head to Colorado, so we'll see. He comes back in June, and will get his job at REI back, which has also been good for reinforcing the whole cycling trip thing, as he works in action sports.

I have the date for the Strawberry on the calendar. Going through job changes recently at work, so the future is somewhat uncertain. Luckily I had already booked a number of rides and both CO and RTR well out in advance, so they were paid for and I'm going come hell or high water. Oh, and my daughter is getting married in October, so maybe riding a century towards the end of September would be a great way to mellow out beforehand, if I can fit it in. We'll see.

Regards,

Wayne
wayneh

Return to Northwest Rides