Yakima Ridges Century/Ride.Yakima, WA. Saturday April 25th

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Yakima Ridges Century/Ride.Yakima, WA. Saturday April 25th

Postby Brian C » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:02 am

$40.00 registration fee.
http://www.desertvalley.com/rides/

The ride starts and ends at the Fred Meyers, 40th Avenue Exit off of Hwy 12 in Yakima across from Chesterly Park. The registration table is in the back parking lot and opens at 6:30AM.

I will make my 3rd attempt at this ride and hope to finally complete the century as my opening season test. My previous two attempts came up short (72 and 85 miles respectively) due to a stomach virus 2 years ago, and road temperatures of 106+ degrees last year that just drained me. Can you say hot!!

Shorter distances of 25, 50 and 70 miles are offered as well as the full century.

The century totals 5400 of elevation gain and it does feel like it. There are a few climbs of up to 3-miles in length with grades of 5 to 6%, but what really gets you are the numerous short ones with gradients of up to 15+%. These guys really do take their toll on you as the course goes on and on and the climbs don’t stop, even at the end.

The country side is typical Eastern Washington/Oregon, rolling hills, and farmlands as the course winds its way around the outskirts of Yakima and points south of the Yakima valley region.

6 rest stops on the century course but be prepared as the first 5 come at you rapidly for the first 63 miles and then there is a gap of 27-miles between rests stops 5 and 6.

We’ll see if the third time is a charm?

About 150 or so riders come out for this one and last year 25 of us attempted the century in all that heat.
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Re: Yakima Ridges Century/Ride.Yakima, WA. Saturday April 25th

Postby Brian C » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:58 am

Would someone please turn off the wind?

My albatross continues as I did the 70-mile instead of the Full Century in Yakima on Saturday.

80 of us showed up for what turned out to be a very windy and cold ride through the constant ups and down of the Yakima valley.

The headwinds were blowing at constant wind speeds of 20/25 MPH and this made for long grinding sections of 7 to 10 MPH, and when the roads tilted up the speeds got even slower. The 12-mile section to Wenas Lake, which also includes climbing to it as well, took about 1.5 hours to do those 12-miles. You get the picture?

Even thought the skies were cloudless, and the sun was brilliant, the air temperature of 60 degrees did not feel it, as the wind just cut right through you blowing through the canyons and ridges.

This along with a 2 flats had me make the executive decision to do the 70-mile ride and call it a day rather than risk doing the remaining 30-miles with no spare tubes.

I’ll keep going back to this one and maybe, just maybe, one day, I’ll complete the century? If not, I still think it’s worth the trip.

Up next, the RACC (Ride Around Clark County)
Good Riding

Brian C
Brian C

Return to Northwest Rides